Summer (observations)

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: Summer (observations)

Postby Niklas Ban » Tue May 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Nice Daniel, the red one is a stunner! And for sure a mating picture is always nice, Andre. Thanks for sharing. ;)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 08, 2015 12:56 am

I was yesterday at the black forest...

I'm always (negatively!) fascinated when even Germans themselves translate "Schwarzwald" as "black forest", but maybe
I'm just too much of a "purist" regarding languages... So, please, forgive me this inapt (?) intrusion... Never again.
However, just for fun, would you really, in your right mind, call "Schwarzwäldertorte" or "Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte" a
"Black Forest cake"?!
Alas, that's just what Wikipedia offers, to the whole literate world... So, I give up... have to. Forget it, if you can. I can't,
but that's my personal problem...
Has nothing to do with the truly excellent finds & photos (from Schwarzwald, I suppose), of course.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Alexander Pieh » Fri May 08, 2015 9:23 am

Dear Berislav,
the right translation is "Blackforst gateau"!.
However, it belongs to the fieldherpers Cafe :lol:
Alexander Pieh

Hometown: Stuttgart

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri May 08, 2015 9:51 am

Alexander Pieh wrote:However, it belongs to the fieldherpers Cafe :lol:

for sure! A Black Forest gateau without coffee ??? :(
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Alexander Pieh wrote:Dear Berislav, the right translation is "Blackforst gateau"!

If you may stand my nitpicking, it's "Black forest", not "Blackforst"... (Wir forsten nichts...)
Be careful with Micha & me, if you feel the urge to correct any one of us... we bite back!
So, maybe you'd rather check once (or twice) again what you have written before pressing
that treacherous "Submit" button... Mind you, there is also a "Preview" one, and I (mis)use
this occasion to most sincerely advertize & recommend it to ALMOST EVERYBODY here...

However, it belongs to the fieldherpers Cafe :lol

Yes, it does. Once again, sorry for the inapt (?) intrusion...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Alexander Pieh wrote:Dear Berislav, the right translation is "Blackforst gateau"!

If you may stand my nitpicking, it's "Black forest", not "Blackforst"... (Wir forsten nichts...)
Be careful with Micha & me, if you feel the urge to correct any one of us... we bite back!
So, maybe you'd rather check once (or twice) again what you have written before pressing
that treacherous "Submit" button... Mind you, there is also a "Preview" one, and I (mis)use
this occasion to [b]most sincerely advertize & recommend it to ALMOST EVERYBODY here...

Bero, it's "Black Forest" and not "Black forest". Do bite back.

I am a massive nitpicker myself, but online spelling errors are hardly going to destroy the world. But thank you very much for explaining to all of us how the preview button works.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 08, 2015 2:09 pm

But thank you very much for explaining to all of us how the preview button works.

Be my guest, nichts zu danken, da nada... Just USE it. It doesn't WORK of itself unless you PRESS it.
(And take the "trouble" of reading what you've just written... Maybe even twice - recommended...)
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Since you cannot stand the use of smilies, I will have to plainly indicate that I was being ironic.

This is an internet forum, not your classroom - you cannot tell anyone what to use or not. Or rather, you can, but I would guess that it will not be productive.

OK, now I'm recklessly going to submit without previewing.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Daniel Bohle » Fri May 08, 2015 2:44 pm

ok, now something from the mark brandenburg :lol:
Attachments
P5010039.JPG
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Since you cannot stand the use of smilies, I will have to plainly indicate that I was being ironic.

Roger that, of course. (BTW, i can stand them, I just refrain from using them. My choice. If Shakespeare and Dante & c. didn't
need them to express whatever they wanted to express, and they obviously succeeded, then it can work without them, if both
the writer and the reader "take the trouble" to get it. (To put it blandly, and "politically incorrectly", smilies are an easy-way-out
for "lazy" people, who don't want to take the (linguistic) "trouble"... But you know perfectly well what I mean, so, enough of that.)

This is an internet forum, not your classroom - you cannot tell anyone what to use or not.
Or rather, you can, but I would guess that it will not be productive.

Wrong - actually I do not teach at all, neither at school nor at the university, so, no classroom in my real life. And I'm not telling
people what to use or not, I'm just humbly suggesting them what I think is right and beneficial for all...
(Quite practically, rereading one's message before sending it might save all of us a couple of totally unnecessary consequent
messages of the type "what did you really mean", "was it actually this or that", and alike. Worth a little trouble? Just half a
minute or so... I think it is. You might disagree.)
BTW, electronic mail (e-mail) is just a rather novel and efficient way of sending mail, not of composing it... So, if I write to you
(or anyone else), I'm WRITING a letter/message/whatever, not with a goose pen, but still WRITING. And how I'm going to SEND it
is quite another matter, which has nothing to do with the quality of the TEXT. Agreed?
OK, now I'm recklessly going to submit without previewing

Suit yourself. (As far as I understand it, in genuine English it's actually quite an ironical message, something like "I know you're wrong,
but if you still insist, do as you please, and you'll soon see for yourself..." In this case, take it literally, un-English, without the sting...
Pax & bonum, my friend.)
Berislav Horvatic

PreviousNext

Return to Central Europe