Patternless P.muralis

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Patternless P.muralis

Postby Noah Meier » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi there,

I observed last monday at the warm sunny afternoon a patternless Podarcis muralis male. As it seems the lizard hasn't done the first molting of this year yet. But shouldn't the pattern still be visible to a certain extend? I found the lizard in a stone wall close to Baden in Canton Aargau. Sorry for the bad quality of the picture (taken by mobile phone).

As I didn't remember to have seen a muralis like this before I was wondering about your experiences.

Kind regards
Noah
Attachments
12982848.jpg
Patternless Podarcis muralis male
Noah Meier

Hometown: Boebikon

Re: Patternless P.muralis

Postby Peter Oefinger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 am

Interesting. Most Podarcis species have "concolor" morphs without dark markings - e.g. in P. siculus siculus they are quite common. But I haven't seen it in muralis so far.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Noah Meier » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote:Interesting. Most Podarcis species have "concolor" morphs without dark markings - e.g. in P. siculus siculus they are quite common. But I haven't seen it in muralis so far.

Yes sure, very common in P.melisellensis, e.g. in Istria or Cres as well. I'm going to visit that spot in a few weeks again. Maybe I'll get a better shot of that specimen after it has molted.
Noah Meier

Postby Bobby Bok » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:59 pm

I've seen very dark muralis but they always had a faint pattern, very special find and it would be interesting to see how this guy looks after shedding.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Noah Meier » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 am

Hi,
Yesterday I visited the place again. As there are living estimated 10'000 individuals of P.muralis (of course it's less) in this stone wall I didn't manage to find the big male again. Instead I found a subadult specimen with the same patternless coloration. This one definitely doesn't seem to be currently in molting.

I saw another patternless wall lizard which went into hide and stayed there (so no picture there).

Greets,
Noah

_MG_0495.jpg
Juvenile patternless P.muralis

_MG_0500.jpg
Same individual in sunlight

_MG_0508.jpg
As reference: Usually colored female (pregnant), just a few metres from the one above...
Noah Meier

Return to Central Europe