Bavaria, spring 2017

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: Bavaria, spring 2017

Postby Laura Bok » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks again everybody!

Kevin wrote:No V. berus?

Oh yes, a few ;):
IMG_2698.jpg
Five melanistic adders basking together - if you look closely (and ignore the high ISO) you can count 4 heads.
Taken today (02.07.17)

IMG_2120.jpg
On rare occasions, you can also see a "normally" colored one...

IMG_2186_resize.jpg
Close-up of an old and irritable female
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:39 am

On the first picture of berus I count 4 specimens, of which 3 heads are visible. The specimen at the bottom left has hidden head: what seems to be a head is actually a part of the body, with a scale simulating one eye. At least this is what I can see from my smartphone now... :D :oops:
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:55 am

Ruggero Morimando wrote:On the first picture of berus I count 4 specimens, of which 3 heads are visible. The specimen at the bottom left has hidden head: what seems to be a head is actually a part of the body, with a scale simulating one eye. At least this is what I can see from my smartphone now... :D :oops:

Thanks the suggestion of my friend Massimo Trentin, I've problably found the 4th head: on the right side, just below the midline, very difficult to see! :o :lol:
Ruggero M.

Postby Kevin Esser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Laura Bok wrote:
Kevin wrote:No V. berus?

Oh yes, a few ;):

I thought so ;)
Thanks for adding these nice adder pics!
Kevin Esser

Hometown: Wiesbaden

Postby Laura Bok » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Ruggero wrote:Thanks the suggestion of my friend Massimo Trentin, I've problably found the 4th head: on the right side, just below the midline, very difficult to see! :o :lol:

You can check below if you found the missing head - maybe you have also found a fifth ;) ?
IMG_2698_marked.jpg
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:20 am

Thanks!

Yes, Massimo has found very probably a 5th head.

On the right side there is a sort of triangle: two green branches and one brown branch form a triangular structure, not very sharp but clearly triangular. In the middle of this structure (a little more on the right side actually) you can see sharply scales: the head of another berus I think...
If you have difficulties I will try to underline this head at the pc with an app (I'm with the smartphone now). :)

Done!

What do you think? :D

5 berus.jpg
Ruggero M.

Previous

Return to Central Europe