Tips for herping Austria

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Tips for herping Austria

Postby Nick Suiker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi everyone!

Tomorrownight I will he leaving for Austria for 8 days. The trip won't be all about herping, but I'm planning to at least herp for 1 day. Ofcourse i'll be on the lookout wherever we go :lol:

But... I've never been herping for snakes and so here in the Netherlands (just got my drivers license)...

All I can think of is to go when it starts to heat up and look at the sunny places. But does anyone have other tips and trics when it comes to herping in Austria?

I'll be staying in Wald im Pinzgau.

Greatings Nick :)
Nick Suiker

Hometown: Dongen

Re: Tips for herping Austria

Postby Ruggero M. » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 am

Hello Nick: you have not received answers yet because, I think, Austria has nothing particular or different from other middle-european Countries as regards herping.
If you know nothing about herps, a whole book of explanations wouldn't be enough, and if you know something about herping, no additional information
about Austria is required. :lol:
Unless you will receive a Pm about exact places and locations...and, yes, this would make the difference ;)
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Nick Suiker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi Ruggero,

Thanks for your reply :)

I get your point. I know enough about reptiles in captivity, but have never searched for them in the wild.

But if the rules apply to all middle-european countries, then the basics will do.

I would think that it would be the best to go out just before it heats up, so that the reptiles come out and bask?

So maybe anyone has some general tips and trics for herping in these countries?

I have already found some small lacerta's so i'm already happy haha

I hope someone can give me some tips, i mean, you have to start of somewhere :)
Greatings! :)
Nick Suiker

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Nick Suiker wrote:Hi Ruggero,

Thanks for your reply :)

I get your point. I know enough about reptiles in captivity, but have never searched for them in the wild.

But if the rules apply to all middle-european countries, then the basics will do.

I would think that it would be the best to go out just before it heats up, so that the reptiles come out and bask?

So maybe anyone has some general tips and trics for herping in these countries?

I have already found some small lacerta's so i'm already happy haha

I hope someone can give me some tips, i mean, you have to start of somewhere :)
Greatings! :)

slow worms are usually hidden beneath trunks or other things
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Nick Suiker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks Michal!
I'm going to use that for sure :D
Nick Suiker

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Nick Suiker wrote:Thanks Michal!
I'm going to use that for sure :D

you can also find larvas of fire salamander in stream, they are in the places where water is rather placid
adult fire salamanders forage after rain and at night but at day they can be found by flipping stones or trunks
alpine and smooth newts larvas can be catched in ponds using a net, adults under stones or trunks, sometimes in man-made traps like drainage manholes
alpine salamander can be found there too, like almost all tailed salamanders they are active only at night (if it is not raining/breading season) so during day they can be found under logs or stones http://www.gbif.org/occurrence/1038806629
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Nick, your enthusiasm is more than welcome, but people around here (or at least I) tend not to respond too much if questions are of such basic level that they can easily be found in the introductory chapters of essential field guides. Don't get me wrong - the questions are valid & we all asked them at some point. It's just a suggestion to get the reward of figuring a couple of things out yourself. Having said that, we hope you stick around and share what you find. Good luck!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Return to Central Europe