Lorraine & Lower Saxony

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Lorraine & Lower Saxony

Postby Patrick Masius » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:12 am

Hello together,
Last week, I finally started vipering. First, I went to Lorraine and got some really nice asps (6 in total, including 2 large females). The habitat was lovely, and the calcareous meadows were full of flowering "Anémones", as the French call Pulsatilla. That's why a whole group of photographers accompanied me in the morning. However, nobody was interested in vipers, except me. So I didn't have to share them. I also found a fully grown smooth snake very close to the asps. Lizards were quite hard to discover and seemingly rare (I got 3 P. muralis, 1 L. agilis and 3 A. fragilis). Many thanks to Ulrich Schulte for this spot!

Back in Germany, I went on to a day-trip together with Lebetina Daniel. At the margins of a large moorland in Lower Saxony, we hunted for snakes. The cold windy weather (that hadn't been mentioned in the forecast) did permit us only a flipped baby slow worm in the morning (at least something for testing Daniels new camera). Later in the afternoon, our patience was rewarded with a bit of sunshine. Immediately, we found some basking L. agilis in the heath and not much later we managed to find a female adder. So the day was saved.
I wish everybody a great start into the reptile season!

DSC_6429-kopie-5.jpg

DSC_6462 kopie 3 1600.jpg
Patrick Masius

Hometown: Goettingen

Re: Lorraine & Lower Saxony

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:42 pm

I was recently trying to find Vipers in moorland but with no success. I'm going to return there and to other potential places of their presence though, since I'm motivated.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Spring flora is the best, nice picture of the asp viper in the Pulsatilla.
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Postby Patrick Masius » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:I was recently trying to find Vipers in moorland but with no success. I'm going to return there and to other potential places of their presence though, since I'm motivated.

Good luck then! If you don t know the exact spots where they occur it can be quite time consuming. But now is the right time!
(There is a location close to Świnoujście on the Polish island Wolin that I will check out in May.)
Patrick Masius

Postby Patrick Masius » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Pablo Deschepper wrote:Spring flora is the best, nice picture of the asp viper in the Pulsatilla.

Thanks Pablo. I quite enjoyed it!
Patrick Masius

Return to Central Europe