Visiting Belgium next month

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Visiting Belgium next month

Postby Nathan Smith » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Hello, I and my family will be visiting Belgium in July. I'm a biologist with the United States Geological Survey in San Diego California. I've been published in the Southwestern naturalist for the work we did in the El Monte Valley (http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1894/0 ... 9-61.4.294). I am working on my master's thesis at San Diego State University in Rulon Clark's lab. My family and I would love to see some of the native European herpetofauna while visiting. Any advice would be welcomed regarding where to see vipers or any other snakes. If anyone is able to show us around I would be happy to oblige them in a personal tour of southern California if they are ever able to visit my home town. Thanks in advance for any help. -Nathan Smith
Nathan Smith

Hometown: San Diego

Re: Visiting Belgium next month

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:45 pm

July is not the best of months to herp around here, although it is highly weather dependent. Snake sites are also highly limited - certainly a big difference compared to SoCal. Sharing these sites is done with great caution. I won't be around during much of July, but if you want to see some of the more common amphibians and you're willing to get to Ghent, we might be able to arrange something. But again, in comparison with Socal, Belgium is a very poor place herpwise.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Nathan Smith » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks for the reply Jeroen! I'm aware that Belgium is far more sparse in herp richness compared to southern California, but being that this is my first time, I would love to see ANYthing. What types of amphibians would you expect to find in Ghent?
Nathan Smith

Postby lakiere pieter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 am

I can also show a place where I found salamandra salamandra in an old water well in south Belgium. At the edge of a forest. I've been there two times. First time I saved 7 individuels and second time 5 individuels. They could not clime up back into freedom on the steep walls. Bufo bufo and rana temporaria were also found in the well. About the snakes I sended a private message as I don't wanna make that location public.
lakiere pieter

Hometown: bellegem

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am

lakiere pieter wrote:I can also show a place where I found salamandra salamandra in an old water well in south Belgium. At the edge of a forest. I've been there two times. First time I saved 7 individuels and second time 5 individuels. They could not clime up back into freedom on the steep walls. Bufo bufo and rana temporaria were also found in the well. About the snakes I sended a private message as I don't wanna make that location public.

Cou could have put a desk there so that they could escape on their own.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Nathan Smith » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:16 pm

We will also be staying near Doorn in the Netherlands Sunday, July 22nd. Is anybody in that area who would like to show us around that area?
Nathan Smith

Postby lakiere pieter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 pm

DSC03098.jpg
DSC03123.jpg
The well is 2 meters deep and quit narrow. We could not find anything in the surroundings to make an exit for the animals.
lakiere pieter

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 pm

I can come to Brussels via plane to join you guys, if you are ok with it.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Wouter van Brenk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 pm

I live in that area. Send me a PM.
Wouter van Brenk

Hometown: Utrecht

Postby lakiere pieter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:I can come to Brussels via plane to join you guys, if you are ok with it.

The more herpers the better I think. Should be awesome. If I could take some days off I prefer herping in Holland. I know the lacerta agilis and vipers are more common there. Never seen a lacerta agilis by the way in my life. Yes I know it sounds awkward but here in Belgium it is an extremely rare specie.
lakiere pieter

Next

Return to Central Europe