Czech Rep. 2021

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Czech Rep. 2021

Postby Tomas Klacek » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Much like a last year, we were able to make just a three weeks road trip to Switzerland, France and Italy in late summer due to pandemic - I´ll try to share some photos later. So I do not have anything exotic to share, but here are some photos and observations from my local spots..

Early spring was tought here, very cold and slow start of a year in addition our districts were closed so I missed an adder matting season. But found theese little guys in a forrest just behind our town.

Agile frog

Grass frogs, I had to relocate a lot of their eggs because they choose a shallow puddles in the field next to a pond (where they usualy breed) what started to get dry quickly.

This is probably my favourite photos of this year, grass frog hatchlings from a different spots.

Kingfisher

Fire bellied toads

I purchased underwater camera case so here are my first attempts, in situ smooth and crested newts

During a sunset dogwalk I met this guy. It turned out he hunts in this spot every single evening, it was very cool to witness his noiseless flight and hunting. Later I also found his offsprings..

sand lizard

I tried to take a picture of a vocalising natterjack toad male but failed hard.

some woodpeckers

As districts opened I quickly drove to an adder site.

An Eagle owl baby, very cool encounter for me and first time in my life in the wild, hope to see an adult one next year

This year was great for stag beetles here, never saw so many of them

I tried to find an Aesculapian snake in one of our isolated populations with no success, but this dice snake with a bullhead was a very good satisfaction

Grass snake and a salamander larvae from a same spot

And an autumn adder.

With regards and hope to see some other reports here,
t.
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Re: Czech Rep. 2021

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:48 am

very nice and good pics! thanks for sharing :)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Andre Schmid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:17 am

Wow, awesome. Love the owl shots!

Thanks for sharing :)
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm

Cool shots! :)
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Kevin Esser » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Amazing pictures!
The one of the grass frog hatchlings is indeed very cool, but my favorites are the Bombina shots, the eating Dice Snake and the frontal berus close up.

I also love your underwater shots...
I can still only imitate these by putting newts in a small aquarium for a photo session. Annoying to carry the aquarium around,
many times I don't have it with me and no chance for in situ pictures.
Your nice results make me think to invest in an underwater case too :-)
Kevin Esser

Hometown: Wiesbaden

Postby Tomas Klacek » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:44 pm

Thank you all! Bombinas are probably the easiest here, I have some very good spots around and males are calling for weeks... Dice Snake was pure luck I noticed it when It took my dog under the river weir to take a swim in very hot summer weather.
For underwater you have to consider a lot of things, it is something new, different world, but it can be much more annoying than carrying a small aquarium :) You need a very specific conditions to take decent pictures and it is very hard to just focus correctly and I´m talking just about shallow water...
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Return to Central Europe