A VAMMO lovers' corner

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

A VAMMO lovers' corner

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:interesting but no utility:
Vipera ammodytes ammodytes
etc...

Guillaume Gomard wrote:The ammodytes are also my favorite, nice pictures! :)

Well, then, how about starting "a VAMMO lovers' corner" as a separate topic?
I could open with a movie from our vammo monitoring site at the outskirts of Zagreb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... pvXuv_GH-o
Here you can meet our record holder, a male with a total body length of 82.5 cm.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Re: A VAMMO lovers' corner

Postby Martti Niskanen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:07 pm

How far can you trust welding gloves with a large ammo like that?

On the other hand, I've seen berus larger than that :)
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Martti Niskanen wrote:How far can you trust welding gloves with a large ammo like that?

We don't use just any, for vammo we choose the best one can find. We asses them meticulously.
And hope for the best.
Also, we avoid provoking bites if possible.

The big male was nicknamed Boris, after the guy who had caught him for the first time
two years earlier (30 September 2008), when he measured only 80 cm. So, he grew by
2.5 cm in two years. Still a long way to go to the fabulous 1 meter, but we all wish him
good health, a long life and a lot of rodents to feed on.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Rok Grzelj » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:35 pm

A female from berus and ammodytes habitat....
Rok Grzelj

Hometown: Postojna

Postby Mladen Zadravec » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:02 am

Hey Bero, thanks for promoting my video! :D

How far can you trust welding gloves with a large ammo like that?

To add to what Bero already said, the brown/orange-grey gloves he predominantly used, the same model I also use these last few years when dealing with ammodytes, have been bit by Boris and in those occasions were not pierced. However, Boris is a very reluctant biter, relying mostly on posturing to tell us he's had enough and he's always been very patient with us and cooperated with practically everything we did to him (measuring, weighing, filming, etc.) and I trust him more than some of the others in my study population (of course, trust is a relative term here). The other 80 cm long (now probably longer) male from the same location, Mrcina, who is by no means as calm as Boris, bit the same pair of gloves several times on the one occasion he was found and he also didn't pierce them.

Although there are no gloves which are "100% bite proof every time and in every occasion", the ones we use provide a reasonable amount of added safety, at least for ammodytes up to 82.5 cm. I haven't been able to test them for larger ones, since I haven't found any yet... :)
Some other glove models (for instance, those I use for V. berus) I definitely would not recommend for ammodytes larger than 55-60 cm. Some may be ok for ammodytes up to 70 cm, but only in their first season in the field :? ... The "venom defender" gloves are more than ok for approx. 80+ cm ammodytes.

I'll post some pictures of some of the ammodytes in my study population tonight....
Mladen Zadravec

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm

On the 8th of April 2013 Vipera ammodytes was sighted in two different places in the mainland part of
Croatia, in an abandoned quarry in the northwestern outskirts of Zagreb and at the southern foothills
of the mt. Strahinjščica, ENE of Krapina, quite in the north of the country (12 km south of the
Croatian/Slovenian border).
As the Sunday the 14th of April was a warm sunny day, the three of us decided to visit the latter locality,
which is also one of our favourite ones. Within a few hours (11:30 - 15:00) we found 7 V. ammodytes,
5 adult males and two juveniles, at the altitude of 350 - 400 m a. s. l. All of them were rather fresh
from hibernation and not yet shed, and therefore not particularly photogenic, so here's just the best
looking one, an adult male, cca. 70 cm (estimated, not measured):

BH_NN_5933_RED.jpg

BH_NN_5939_RED.jpg

BH_NN_5940_RED.jpg

BH_NN_5944_RED.jpg

Out of the 5 adults sighted 3 were simply uncatchable due to their position on a loose heap of stones,
so here's just an in situ photo of one of them:

BH_NN_5951_SMALL.jpg

Considering that this is my first and up to now the only in situ photo of an ammodytes, not bad at all.

And the habitat is the best thing of all - would you ever try to search for ammodytes on a gentle hill like this one?

BH_NN_5924_RED.jpg
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks for the pics Bero, you made my day.

Berislav Horvatic wrote:Considering that this is my first and up to now the only in situ photo of an ammodytes, not bad at all.
[/attachment]

With all the ammos you observed, I'm surprised that it is actually your first in situ picture, or you meant for 2013?
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:With all the ammos you observed, I'm surprised that it is actually your first in situ picture, or you meant for 2013?

No, I meant the first and only one in my life. Vammos don't wait, they disappear too quickly.
Actually, there were two of them lying side by side - a nice scene indeed. But when I got my
camera ready, one of them was already gone.
After half an hour we returned to the same heap of stones, and now there were three of them,
all lying together at the very same spot. This time all three disappeared before I was ready
to shoot.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Daniel Bohle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote: Vammos don't wait, they disappear too quickly.

haven´t seen a lot of them in my live but I know this is simply not the truth :D
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Daniel Bohle wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote: Vammos don't wait, they disappear too quickly.

haven´t seen a lot of them in my live but I know this is simply not the truth :D

OK, I know what you mean.
But when I search for snakes, I have my gloves on and keep my camera in its case. (I dont want to risk
damaging it if I have to jump.) So I need some 10 seconds to take off the gloves, open the camera case,
take the camera out and get it ready. And to do all that I have to move. Any sensible snake watching
me do all that will disappear, even if slowly.
Of course I had a few chances now and then to make in situ photos of ammodytes, but I decided to be
on the safe side and jump instead - a vammo in hand is worth two in the bush...
Berislav Horvatic

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula