Ammodytes montadoni Romania

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Ammodytes montadoni Romania

Postby Stefan Visan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi everybody and greetings from Romania, this is my first post here. My name is Stefan and I`m glad to meet you.
I enjoy nature, photography and cycling and try to combine the three as often as possible. I live in an area that is known for the Vipera Ammodytes Montadoni population, one of the very few in the country, and lately it had become my goal to find and photograph one, even though I`m not that into snakes or reptiles in general. I had been taking trips to Hagieni forest (home of the montadoni) for the last three or four weekends, with no luck. The forest is also home for the zamenis longissimus and dolichopis caspius, natrix natrix, lacerta viridis and some other lizards, some frogs, lots of birds including prey birds like milvus migrans and so on. My main objective was to spot a viper, but I would have also enjoyed seeing the aesculapian snake or the mad snake, as the caspius is known around here. Anyway, I had been roaming through the forest, mostly alone, sometimes wearing sandals (yes, I know), and mostly on the rocky grounds, where the books say the viper likes to hang out. No luck in the midday sun, no luck in the evening so I thought morning will be the right time. I called a friend who also likes to cycle and to observe wild creatures, not necessarily reptiles, and he agreed to join me in one more expedition. He was the more experienced one, having seen a natrix once. We decided to go by car to be able to wander away from it; taking the bikes would have meant carrying them around. Wearing my boots this time, I picked him up at 8 am, some half an hour later we were in the forest and immediately started to search. We went to the usual rocky parts of the area, nothing of course. We decided to go inside the real forest, through the dense vegetation, hoping to have better luck. We walked on an old road for a mile or so, relatively dense forest on the sides but we took a few steps to the right or left from time to time, keeping close to the road at the same time. Nothing, or at least no snakes.

Finally, we reached the top of a hill and something jumped off a small (1,5 meter tall) tree next to me and hid in the grass. My heart stopped, I first thought it was the aesculapian, but it couldn`t have been THAT fast, I didn`t even see what it was. I suspected a lizard, but had never seen one above the ground.

After some more walking we saw this:

It was a good sign, that meant snakes could be in the area too. We continued on the road and a few minutes after my friend took the usual few steps into the vegetation and then I heard him calling me and saying that he saw a snake tail, gray coloured, perhaps a natrix. And then no, he said, it `s a viper! WhooHoo! We were on all fours, pushing the thick bushes away, not caring about them scratching us, there it was, the elusive viper!

We immediately recognised the irregular dark markings on the back. I tried to grab it with the snake stick and failed, but I was afraid not to harm it so I didn`t try again and after a few photos we backed off, still on all fours. Actually we lost it, didn`t look at it for two or three seconds and it was gone.

As a side note, at one point it started climbing a small bush and surprised us, we knew the species was not arboreal. Also, somebody told my friend that was driving through the same forest, on a road with lots of trees on the sides, and at one point a snake that fitted the description of an ammodytes fell from the sky onto the car. The source is said to be reliable, I don`t know whether to believe the story or not, perhaps somebody can share some info on that.

Anyway, we continued our expedition a few more hours, seeing the testudo graeca ibera, quite a few of them, some butterflies, a dead frog and lots of lizards, including this one. Is it a lacerta viridis? This great coloured guy that climbed in a small tree while running away from us also solved the mistery about the creature that had scared me earlier.

At 2pm we decided to call it a day, a great day in fact, We had the seen IT. On the way back to the car, I heard something in the bushes and told my friend to shut up and listen. Pointing in the direction of the sound, I saw the bush shaking and heard rhythmic sounds. It was like a person was trying to cut the small bush from the base and was kicking it with an axe or something, but we couldn`t see past the vegetation. My friend, who is single and without obligations, therefore having a weaker self preservation instinct as opposed to me, husband and father, bravely approached the bushes and started to laugh: there were two testudo graeca fighting with each other, or doing something similar. We continued and the stumbled upon this scene :

I see that for some reason the video link is not working. Here`s a link to a flikr upload of the same video:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ispriluc/9762264262/

Very funny little guys, but shouldn`t they be doing that in spring?

Thank you for reading, I could use some feedback.
I hope the weather will allow me and my friend to return to the forest for some more adventures.

All the best,
Stefan.
Stefan Visan

Hometown: Mangalia

Re: Ammodytes montadoni Romania

Postby Tom Hoogesteger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 am

Hello and welcome!
That's a very pretty viper. I like the tree-climbing L. viridis also!
Tom Hoogesteger

Hometown: Jarvenpaa

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:43 am

Hi Stefan,

Nicely done report with some cool pics and a very entertaining story!
He was the more experienced one, having seen a natrix once.
:lol:
I visit the area quite a lot, some say i even have an obsession with your neck of the woods so i really hope to see you in the field soon in Hagieni , Dumbraveni or Canaraua Fetii.
Happy herping man!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:49 am

Yes, nice story and good finds. I like the name you have for Dolichophis - 'mad snake' :D They are mad, indeed!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:40 am

Stefan Visan wrote:

I see that for some reason the video link is not working.......................
All the best,
Stefan.

No idea why, but YouTube videos are working, when you remove the S from the https, like http://www.youtube...........

I have changed it now

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Niklas Ban » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 am

Don't know if it is interesting or just funny :lol:
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Alexandre Roux » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:44 am

When does herping became voyeurism? :lol:
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Nice documentation of the tortoises courtship! The chase, hitting, mounting and vocalization are all criteria by which the female judges the male's fitness.

Very funny little guys, but shouldn`t they be doing that in spring?

Mating in tortoises can accure throughout their active season. The females can retain viable sperm within their bodies for quite a long time (up to an year and a half) and self-fertilize themselves the following spring, or whenever they feel ready.

Don't know if it is interesting or just funny

Well, it's far more interesting than the courtship of most European lizards or snakes...which is basiclly just a bite to the neck :twisted:
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Stefan Visan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Thank you Mario for fixing the link.
Ilian, you cleared the issue; wow, very detailed and interesting info on the turtles!
Stefan Visan

Hometown: Mangalia

Postby miguel santos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 am

Nice report, I always like to see reports of day trips of areas that I'm not familiar with. Even if one only sees commun species to that area. I'm very happy for you that you managed to take a picture of the viper. I've seen a few vipers in the last few years but somehow I never managed a picture.
As for the tortoises, I keep for quite some time testudo hermanni and their mating activity is in spring but also in late summer. I even think that, after a period of warm weather the males get active as soon as the temperature drops. Even with rain you see them running arround and searching for females.
Maybe that's the same with T.graeca. :?:

Greetings,

Miguel
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Return to Balkan peninsula