One week in Western Greece

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

One week in Western Greece

Postby miguel santos » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 am

I went for one week ( 13th till 19th October ) with my wife and 2 kids to Greece. Although we almost never search at night or very early in the morning we always end up seeing a lot of animals.
Here is a small selection of what we saw:

PS all comments are welcome
Attachments
29.JPG
the only Kotschy's Gecko of the trip. a juveline in Meteora
36.JPG
In the north of Preveza and in Nikopolis I found one Common Newt
35.JPG
Lots of Epirus Water Frog around the Ambracian gulf north of Preveza.
DSC_0022b ad. 1 macho zona Oeste de Meteora atráz do Hotel Kastraki.JPG
It was very misty in Meteora, therefore no chance for reptiles. But, what is that under that three? a Hermann's Tortoise.
32.JPG
gess what we found inside of this old house next to the roks of Meteora ?
31.JPG
an other male Hermann's Tortoise.
30.JPG
plenty of this dark acrobats around Meteora
28.JPG
I think I got too close to these Pelicans and they did not like it. Kastoria
27.JPG
pygmy cormorant in Kastoria
24.JPG
saw several 6 juveniles Balkan Stream Frogs but no adults in the hills to the north of Metsovo
23.JPG
I saw 2 alpine newts in the water next to the Aoos dam, I was surprised the seen them in the water at this time of the year.
22.JPG
Erhard's wall lizard in the hills to the north of Metsovo
21.JPG
lots of wall lizards with no tails up in moutains north of Metsovo
18.JPG
bear dung on the path. It was quite fresh also.... Forests around Kapesovo ( Zagoria)
17.JPG
this Erhard's Wall Lizard just outside Kapesovo, was trying to get the first rays of sun when I saw him just next to me at eye level. I only had to move my camera up for the shot. I fact I was to close and was Lucky to have the macro lens in the camera.
16.JPG
this Natrix natrix persica was seen south of Kapesovo. It was nice to see one alive, as I was Hundreds of dead ones on the road to the south of Louros (Ambacian gulf)
15.JPG
this balkan Whip Snake, was basking in the late afternoon sun just outside Vikos. It glided under the big rock were it stands and I think it was about 35/40 cm long.
13.JPG
this one was not very happy. I foun it just next to the restaurant in the village of Vikos. I think I know the name of the species but I lost the paper where I had written it. I'll come back to it later.
12.JPG
this is a Saga-pedo, one of Europes biggest insect. It is nocturnal and I saw him trying to cross the road south of Aristi close to dinner time. It was the last animal found in the Zagori area.
11.JPG
Balkan Wall Lizard, saw dese arround Preveza and near the coast east of Parga
10.JPG
Saw many Balkan Green Lizards, here a juvenile east of Parga
9.JPG
Male? next to the road near Ammoudia
8.JPG
Female in Ammoudia
6.JPG
Saw Dalmatian Algyroides everywere but only juvelines high in Zagoria. Arround Parga the adults were still active.
5.JPG
This was a nice surprise, Is this Anguis graeca ? I found her under a plane right next to the beach for far from Ammoudia.
4.JPG
This was the only turtle we saw the whole week in 5 different waters and marshes! Maybe because it was cold the week before? I had expected much more.
3.JPG
I saw this little fellow next to the road in the vicility of Parga and he was probably hit by a car. Part of his tail was broken but the body was unharmed. I took him a few Km further, placed some medicine on his wound and released him. I hope he'll make it.
2.JPG
An Acrida sp. ?
1.JPG
On the last day of the trip I spotted this Dahl's Whip Snake a few meters bellow the coastal road in the village of Parga. This is the only shot I could take before it went back into its hole.
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Re: One week in Western Greece

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:12 am

Seems you had some nice and successful days ;)
Love the Pelican shot!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Peter Oefinger » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:15 am

Very nice. Must have been great visiting all these beutiful places.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:43 am

Dahl's Whip Snake is a great encounter, thanks for sharing!
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby GertJan Verspui » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:55 am

Nice vacation time!! Thanks!
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby miguel santos » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your replyies, it was indeed a nice holiday.
As for the scorpion, I think it is a Euscorpius mingrelicus. But I'm not an expert.

A small question: is the slow worm a different species from central europe or is it the same? I can not find much on the net about the A. Graeca.

Miguel
miguel santos

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:19 am

miguel santos wrote:A small question: is the slow worm a different species from central europe or is it the same? I can not find much on the net about the A. Graeca.

Miguel

Yes, it is ;)
See:
Code: Select all
Gvozdík, V., D. Jandzik, P. Lymberakis, D. Jablonski & J. Moravec (2010): Slow worm, Anguis fragilis (Reptilia: Anguidae) as a species complex: Genetic structure reveals deep divergences.- Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 55: 460–472.

Summary:
Phylogenetic relationships of the Western Palearctic legless lizard genus Anguis were inferred based on a fragment of mitochondrial DNA and two nuclear protein-coding loci, C-mos and PRLR. A. cephallonica from the Peloponnese was confirmed as a valid species. It is the sister taxon to a clade comprising all other evolutionary lineages, which were shown to represent three distinct species: (1) A. fragilis sensu stricto occurring in Western and Central Europe, the north-western Balkans, with possibly isolated populations in the eastern Balkans, and presumably also in western Scandinavia and Italy; (2) A. colchica distributed from the eastern Czech Republic and the Baltic region eastward to northern Iran, presumably also in eastern
Scandinavia, and the north-eastern Balkans; (3) A. graeca restricted to the southern Balkans, and partially sympatric with A. cephallonica. According to the more variable mitochondrial marker, A. graeca appears to be the sister species to A. colchica, and these taxa together form a sister clade to A. fragilis, whereas the less variable nuclear markers show A. colchica to be closer to A. fragilis. The C-mos gene has not provided substantial variation within this species complex, while the PRLR gene, which was used for the first time in phylogeographic study in a reptile, distinguished all species successfully. Intra-specific differentiation of A. colchica is discussed, and subspecific status of the Caucasian and Caspian populations is proposed. The uncovered genetic differences should be taken into account in all future biogeographical, morphological and ecological studies, as well as in conservation.

See PDF-1963 in DB

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby miguel santos » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks Mario for your reply and reference.
It is a great data base that you have.

Miguel
miguel santos

Return to Balkan peninsula