Looking back on 2013

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Looking back on 2013

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:48 am

I do believe it`s that time of the year to sit back with a cup of hot coffee and recount all those highs and lows. ;)

January and February were depressingly slow with just a couple of Marsh Frogs trapped in a sewer on my local patch. But first herps of the season are always nice finds.
March was the time i found my dreambird, the Tawny Owl. :D
1384027_646560445376805_68531765_n.jpg

April delivered a couple of new birds as well, but what i enjoyed most was snakehunting with the whole family. However i did not enjoy missing out on the Moor Frogs.
dscf00432.jpg

2 (2).JPG

In may i finally got a radically improved encounter (RIE) with the Danube Crested Newt. Sorry i can`t say the same about the Blotched Snake though...
dscf0013.jpg

1375766_646560465376803_2037801952_n.jpg

June was a slow month, with only a Black-headed Bunting RIE.
dscf0038.jpg

In July i found a Temminck's Stint. Ialso found out i really should consider getting a scope. ;)
11.jpg

If June was slow, August was just plain cruel. I got sick, only had a Jackal RIE and got nothing to show for it.
But it all got better in September, with some nice new birds such as Alpine Accentor and Little Crake, not to mention my daughter`s first snakebite!
dscf0035.jpg

dscf0017.jpg

doli.jpg

1238276_641643675868482_647371560_n.jpg

I think October was the best month with nice close views of lifer shorebirds such as Grey Plover and Sanderling, not to mention my biggest Dice Snake to date.
dc.jpg

dscf0025.jpg

lb.jpg

November pretty much sucked, but i saw the last living herp of the year, a Marsh Frog. Silly listing games, i know, but i love`em. ;)
dscf0008.jpg

And finally, in December found a national rarity, the Kittiwake and this weekend i saw the last herp of the year, a DOR Green Toad and best of all, the wife got me a nice early Christmas gift. :D
883815_688563574509825_355497159_o.jpg

Thanks for reading!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Re: Looking back on 2013

Postby Ana Goncalves » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Congratulations. Overall, it was a nice year :-)
With my studies I didn't have enough time to go to the field..but I also found some interesting things. In Diptera: April - new species for science and a new genus for Portugal that, in Iberian Peninsula, was only known for Andorra. In July, a new family for Portugal. It has all to be published and the new species may take few years. Later, I can post some pictures in the "insect's section" :) In Coleoptera, I made some small scientific works (simply new distribution records) about Lucanidae, Copris spp., Oryctes nasicornis and, my favorite, Mesosa curculionoides. About plants, one of the best was an orchid, a hybrid between Ophrys tenthredinifera and O.speculum (it wasn't found by me).Here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QUf98_sFH_8/Uec-jwObcLI/AAAAAAAAAnI/gatjDJf6IPY/s1600/hub.jpg
Sadly, in amphibians and reptiles this year was a shame :( For me, the best I managed to see was one specimen of Pelodytes punctatus, a species that I don't usually find, and Vipera latastei (I love vipers :-) ) in October. 2012 was much better :-) I hope the next year will be even better :D

Since, I already posted V. latastei and P. punctatus, I will post here one Hyla arborea, found in April, trying to hide :p
Hyla arborea.jpg
Hyla arborea (Serra do Sicó, Portugal)
Ana Goncalves

Hometown: Tomar

Return to Balkan peninsula