Some pictures from the Cres-Lošinj archipelago

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Some pictures from the Cres-Lošinj archipelago

Postby Massimo Trentin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Hello Ruggero,glad to hear from you again from your almost 2nd home ;) .
Hot days are on the way and,if I can remember well,they'll be "malpolon" days.
Have a nice time,enjoy and...waiting for further pics :D
Massimo Trentin

Hometown: Torrebelvicino

Postby Ruggero M. » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks Bero and Massimo! Yesterday evening I've found a pool with many Natrix natrix hunting frogs, and later a yellow (wonderful) baby leopardsnake. This morning 5 quatuorlineata in few minutes (and few meters) and a sixth specimen not very far from the others. And again some Malpolon, with a beautiful light blue specimen captured and photographed!
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 pm

You're having a ball! Pictures please :D
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:03 pm

This morning 5 quatuorlineata in few minutes (and few meters) and a sixth specimen not very far from the others.

Now you're really teasing (or, rather, driving mad...) those poor guys who've never had the luck to find a 4lineata...
much as they tried. You must have "golden hands", or "god's help", or whatever... Yes, I/we do envy you, and please
send the pictures at your earliest convenience.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ruggero M. » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Unfortunately I will be able to upload pictures only at home after 11 june. Now two german friends will join me, and I've problems with the memory of my compact Olympus miu 725 SW: almost full of pictures and I don't have its usb connector with me... :(
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:Unfortunately I will be able to upload pictures only at home after 11 june. Now two german friends will join me, and I've problems with the memory of my compact Olympus miu 725 SW: almost full of pictures and I don't have its usb connector with me... :(

No worries, we'll hold :)
I remember the days where I would delete pictures from the memory card during a trip to maintain space on it... At least you never know 100% what you've deleted ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Bastien Comment » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:59 am

Splendid post, thank you Ruggero! Makes me wanna go there as soon as possible ;) One question though, no vipers in there? Maybe you've already mentioned something about that but I must admit that I didn't read all posts :lol:
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 am

Bastien Comment wrote:One question though, no vipers in there?

Yes, no vipers there!
Some people explain it with zoogeography, but others believe in St. Gaudentius of Osor (a small town/village near the southern tip of Cres island, at the bridge to Losinj island), liberate the island(s) from vipers in the 11th century ;)

From Wiki:
The legend.
There is an alleged history of St. Gaudentius. It is believed that his reforms did not comply with the wishes of some noble men from Osor, who took advantage of the instability within the papal state and attacked him. Bishop Gaudentius escaped and hid at the base of Mount Osoršćica. There he lived in a cave for one year. The cave was full of snakes and while he was repenting, he begged God for mercy to free these islands forever from poisonous snakes. He escaped to Rome and he continued with his penitential life in the Franciscan monastery in Ancona, where he died on May 31, 1044.
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Massimo Trentin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:45 pm

I agree with Mario,seems like Cres-Losinj are vipers free.
At my eyes (my personal opinion) looks quite strange the fact that V.ammodytes is present in the very close Krk, not to mention the surrounding of the Quarnaro gulf,from Istria to East and down to the whole Croatia (please correct me if I'm wrong)...and totally absent only in these two islands...quite odd :?: .
What do you think about it?
Massimo Trentin

Hometown: Torrebelvicino

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 am

Massimo Trentin wrote:I agree with Mario,seems like Cres-Losinj are vipers free.
At my eyes (my personal opinion) looks quite strange the fact that V.ammodytes is present in the very close Krk, not to mention the surrounding of the Quarnaro gulf,from Istria to East and down to the whole Croatia (please correct me if I'm wrong)...and totally absent only in these two islands...quite odd :?: .
What do you think about it?

very hard to explain!

Looking on nautical charts, Cres-Losinj seems, it has been longer connected to the mainland (Istria) than Krk island.
Sea depth between Istria and Cres has a maximum of 52 meters, mostly between 46 and 48 meters, nearly over the full length.
Sea depth between Cres and Krk is at lest 68 meters and between Krk and the mainland in the east at least 58 meters. 40 meters depth for less than 1 km east of Voz (NE Krk).
Therefore, ammodytes reached the area to late after the last glacial, is no good explanation.

Maybe, it is the presence of Malpolon on Cres island. This could also explain the absence of Hierophis (viridiflavus) carbonarius.

But, who knows? I'm nearly sure, we never will get the correct answer ;)

For those, who are interested, here the link to all nautical chats of Croatia (and Montenegro). very good resolution, each map approx. 4 MB
http://www.pa2p.nl/pa2p/nauticalcharts.html
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula