Croatia island of Hvar september 2014

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Croatia island of Hvar september 2014

Postby Kriss Kaspersen » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi all fellow herpers

I´m going for a quick trip to Hvar from the 16th till the 22nd of September. It will be relaxing holidays with my girlfriend, but I'm hoping to get some mornings out in the field looking for animals. Vipera ammodytes, would be my main goal on this trip, even though all snakes would be worth the effort ;). Anybody have some hints or tips to point me in the right direction, feel free to share them. Please send any answer in a PM.

I will reward replies with a little photo thread when I'm back ;)

Regards
Kriss
Kriss Kaspersen

Hometown: Oslo S

Re: Croatia island of Hvar september 2014

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 am

http://www.vipersgarden.at/PDF_files/PDF-1836.pdf

at the appendix (island code no. 10) you can see, which amphibian and reptile species have been recorded on the island (dont believe on Blanus strauchi :lol: ), and which ones are still missing.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Regarding Vipera ammodytes, if it would be your main goal on this trip, I suggest climbing
as high as possible, towards the ridge of the island. Namely, that's where they have retreated
after the introduction of Small Indian Mongoose (Herpestes auropunctatus) in the 1970-ies.
I don't say it's impossible to find Vammo in lower regions as well, but the experience of the
locals tells me that the Mongoose keeps mostly in the lowland, while Vammos are much more
abundant in the higher parts.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

BTW, please take into account that early autumn is the time when V. ammodytes climb shrubs and
trees more often than at any other time of the year. So, when searching for them, think and search
THREE-dimensionally (!), and take special care not to get bitten on the head or neck.
I've been told by an experienced local hunter that they are especially fond of Phillyrea latifolia L., an
evergreen shrub or small tree that is quite abundant on Hvar. There may be at least two reasons for that:
(1) the bark of this plant offers excellent camouflage (for Vammo) and (2) it grows just in the right places.
Good luck.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:There may be at least two reasons for that:
(1) the bark of this plant offers excellent camouflage (for Vammo) and ..........

now we know it: snakes like to bask on substrates, where it is hard to spot them (predators and snake hunters [doesnt matter if with snake bag or just a camera]) :lol:
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:There may be at least two reasons for that:
(1) the bark of this plant offers excellent camouflage (for Vammo) and ..........

now we know it: snakes like to bask on substrates, where it is hard to spot them (predators and snake hunters [doesnt matter if with snake bag or just a camera]) :lol:

Why being ironical?
The bark of Phillyrea latifolia L. offers BETTER camouflage than that of the other plants
present there, so it's only natural for Vammos to take advantage of that.
Also, this plant grows in the places that Vammos prefer themselves - it is a good indicator.
For both of this reasons, if one is after Vammos, it is USEFUL to recognize this particular plant
and have a good look at them and around them.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Kriss Kaspersen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:05 am

Thank you Berislav and Mario for your informative replies.

I knew the mongoose have had a hard impact on the ammonites numbers, but still had a hope to find them. I will search the higher elevations during the mornings, and have the Phillyrea latifolia in mind when I'm out in the field!

Thank you
Kriss Kaspersen

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:51 pm

I would also suggest you to set your "base camp" in the central part of the island, i.e. in Stari Grad
or thereabouts, not in the town of Hvar, for several reasons. Much better habitats for fieldherping,
the shortest access to the highest altitudes, and much better for your pocket as well - the town of
Hvar has become as expensive as Dubrovnik.
From Stari Grad you can reach even the highest peak of the island (628 m a.s.l.) by car (via Vrbanj
and Svirče) - if you can stand unpaved roads, of course. On foot it's some two hours, maybe three.

Regarding the "extermination" of V. ammodytes by the Small Indian Mongoose, it has been rather
mild in comparison with Mljet and Korčula, so cheer up, you'll find them for sure, even in the lower
parts. Good luck, and keep us informed.
BTW, if you happen to take GPS coordinates of your finds, the Croatian Herpetological Society would
be grateful for any data, as always.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Kriss Kaspersen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:01 pm

I will be located in the town of Hvar, Berislav. How far is it by car to stari grad? I will bring a GPS a long, so will be sure to mark the exact coordinates if i find any. Thanks again
Kriss Kaspersen

Postby Martti Niskanen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Kriss Kaspersen wrote:I will be located in the town of Hvar, Berislav. How far is it by car to stari grad? I will bring a GPS a long, so will be sure to mark the exact coordinates if i find any. Thanks again

Hvar town is nice if you're there for a short holiday. On non-herping days, definitely take one of the taxi-boats from the harbour to the smaller islands nearby.
I'm sure you know this, but just making sure: Don't make the coordinates public if you find ammodytes or ammonites.

Good luck, and looking forward to a field report.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula