First of the 2009 season. Late, i know...

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

First of the 2009 season. Late, i know...

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:28 am

Hi there,

The weather is really chilly around here, and i`m thinking the herping season is kinda coming to an abrupt end. Don`t know if i`ll tag more lifers this year and therefore i`m feeling blue. So i am looking through some pics to reminisce the good times i`ve had this year.

This is a short story about fieldherping in a winter`s day:

The weather was unusually warm for early February, so we decided to hit one of our spots around Bucharest, to see if anything came out to play.
On the way there we enjoyed a flock of over a hundred Lesser White-fronted Geese. And also, our friends car got stuck in the mud, and once arrived, i really hurt my leg with an improvised fieldstick while flipping some trash ( it went in all the way to the bone). But it was a small price to pay for having a great day in the field.

We herped a forest edge and then some railroad tracks.
1 Habitat.JPG

After a while we saw this promissing trash pile.
2 Microhabitat.JPG

But it was only inhabited by snake food :) - Common Vole - Microtus arvalis:
3 Soarece de camp.JPG

Finally, i flipped a rusty frying pan, and it delivered - Great Crested Newt - Triturus cristatus :D :
4 Triton cu creasta.JPG

6 Triton cu creasta..JPG

As we left, i spotted an Eastern Green Lizard - Lacerta viridis, jumped on it of course,... and hurt my already injured foot some more :roll: . So, sorry, no pic of that one.

That`s what i call a great day out - getting together with family and friends, fresh air, birding, mammal watching and of course, fieldherping! :D

Thanks for reading.
Vlad
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Re: First of the 2009 season. Late, i know...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:05 am

I love this two newt shots! Especially the second one! :D
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Return to Balkan peninsula