Summertrip to Samos

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Summertrip to Samos

Postby Laura Bok » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Kalispera!

This summer, Bobby and I planned on spending short, relaxing holidays somewhere with the possibility of seeing some occasional reptiles and amphibians. As it conveniently turned out to be a very cheap option, we finally decided on Samos. Our expectations for herping results were low - Bobby has visited the island twice before, and warned me how hard herping could be there. Out of the staggering number of 28 species of reptiles and amphibians, most are rare and not readily encountered. The current heat wave did not brighten the perspective.
Against all odds, the first nights (and partially also days) were splendid in terms of herping, and finding Eryx jaculus, Montivipera xanthina in the first night, followed by another individual of viper and Chamaeleo chamaeleon in the second night, got us on the verge of mania. What we found in the remaining nights however can be easily abbreviated to - nothing. At least in terms of reptiles - we still encountered interesting insects in high numbers as well as beautiful birds and shy mammals on our nocturnal strolls. And during daytime we enjoyed ourselves while making friends with a loony Monk Seal and feeling like Brooke Shields in the Blue Lagoon (I guess I can only speak for myself here).

Below you find some pictures; the complete selection can as always be found on:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tiemann.laura/Samos2015#

As Bobby is already on his way to stalking Chameleons in Africa, I also take the liberty to promote his trip report:
http://www.herpsafari.nl/tripreports-eu/2015-7-samos/

Enjoy and thanks for looking!

IMG_7933.JPG
Balkan Terrapin (Mauremys rivulata)

IMG_7994.JPG
Sand Boa (Eryx jaculus ssp. turcicus)

IMG_7984.JPG

IMG_8010.JPG
Ottoman Viper (Montivipera xanthina)

IMG_8197.JPG
Common Toad (Bufo bufo)

IMG_8210.JPG
Mediterranean Chameleon (Chamaeleo chamaeleon ssp. recticrista)

IMG_8455.JPG
another one

IMG_8055.JPG
Grass Snake (Natrix natrix ssp. persa)

IMG_8429.JPG
Little Owl (Athene noctua)

SANY0442.JPG
Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)

IMG_8559_no people.jpg
Monk Seal (Monachus monachus)

IMG_8141.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Re: Summertrip to Samos

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Καλησπέρα σας!
Ευχαριστώ πολύ!

I really must meet that Bobby in person - just yesterday a (herp)friend of mine (Boris Lauš, the actual president
of the Croatian Herpetological Society - but that's not the most important) had so many good words about him...
Lucky you, lucky him - what else could/should one say...
As for the photos (and their contents), I just won't use the regular phrases expected as comments in a forum...
May I just say I envy you a lot - for everything - in a most friendly way, of course.

By the way, HOW EXACTLY does Argiro reach and occupy a sunbed (and get a free umbrella...) every time she
shows up on a tourist-infected beach...? By her own will and effort, or how?! Be serious...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:51 am

Nice series of pictures Laura and Bobby ;)

Caption for that pic: It is better to taste something before swallowing :lol:
IMG_7984.JPG
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Niklas Ban » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:55 am

Nice photography as usually, I love the seal! :lol:
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:41 am

Laura

Fantastic pictures, as usual... love the kingfisher and persa.. and you know I am a complete tart for toads and vipers... but its your beachscapes that blow me away.. stunning as always! the light you capture is amazing.
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Some great sightings despite the heat! After a first and second night like that, the remainder was bound to be less interesting anyway :D
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Very nice pics, Laura. Samos is the perfect place for a summer holiday... and despite of the heat you found some great species.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Laura Bok » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks very much guys! I completely agree that Samos is the perfect choice for summer holidays!

Berislav wrote:By the way, HOW EXACTLY does Argiro reach and occupy a sunbed (and get a free umbrella...) every time she
shows up on a tourist-infected beach...? By her own will and effort, or how?! Be serious...

Although it is hard to believe, she shows up by her own will and effort indeed, swims to the beach, and climbs a sunbed. Every time that happens (which is several times a week), a local hotel owner will call the nature conservation center "Archipelago", who will immediately send a few people to provide a temporary fencing in order to protect her - or rather the tourists FROM her. And to provide an umbrella ;). We did not see her arrive, but we saw her leave the sundbed for a refreshing dip in the sea several times, after which she came back by herself and occupied the sundbed again. It does make up for a kind of absurd scene indeed...
Laura Bok

Postby GertJan Verspui » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:04 am

Great photo's Laura and a nice report as well!
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Laura Bok » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:58 am

Thank you very much again!

Michael wrote:I was there last year with the family again and the monk seal was still a youngster then and only there for a few days. Already, some PhD students guarded the animal and kept the tourists away. One evening, I waited with my son for quite some time until the seal went back into the water for the night hunt. It was really awesome to watch such a calm animal at sundown.

I am really curious how this story will continue!

Michael wrote:a much more enjoyable memory than finding xanthina only DOR. :(

Oh yes. We also found a freshly killed, massive Dolichophis caspius on the road, as well as another Montivipera xanthina. Breaks your heart every time.
Laura Bok

Return to Balkan peninsula