Cyclades islands tour 2015

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Cyclades islands tour 2015

Postby Matt Wilson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi all,
In late July and early August I did a holiday tour around the Cyclades islands, Greece with my lady friend. We visited Paros, Antiparos, Mykonos, Delos, Koufonisia, Iraklia and Naxos. I didn't do too much herping in the dry, summer weather conditions but with the small amount of searching time I did find 13 species, including five Vipera ammodytes but several weren't photographed such as Lacerta trilineata citrovittata (only 2 seen!!). Vipers on these islands are dwarf in size, usually between 30-40cm, have longer nose-horns and are generally a slimmer build (almost like Telescopus fallax). Studies have shown that they feed predominantly on geckos on these barren islands.
In addition, I had a bit of fun when an old lady phoned the police about me as I was releasing "dangerous snakes" onto Antiparos but luckily the policeman was understanding to the injustice. I also saw actor Tom Hanks, not once but twice as he has a house on the island. However, he was in his car both times so no photo opportunities there. :(
Thanks for looking y'all.
Matt
IMG_0275 copy5.jpg

IMG_0347 copy5.jpg

IMG_0379 copy8.jpg

IMG_0480 copy3.jpg

IMG_0489 copyagama.jpg

IMG_0522 copypodarcis.jpg

IMG_0534 copyagamadelos.jpg

IMG_0553 copyfrog.jpg

IMG_0647 copyVAKOUF.jpg

IMG_0760 copyVAIRKhorn.jpg