Naxos

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Naxos

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:58 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Thanks! Do both islands have ammodytes?
And is the double "s" a more common way to spell it in the Roman alphabet (unlike Prasonisi etc.) (as far as there are any actual rules for that)?

I would say: only Epanokoufonis(s)i ;)
but looking on the nautic chart, the sea depth is only 9 m between the two Koufonisi's.

on the Greek road atlas, as well as on the nautic chart, Koufonisi is written with a single "s", like in greek, but see Shinoussa, here in greek also with diouble "ss"
gr-road.jpg
road atlas

nchart.jpg
nautic chart
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:48 am

You're the best, Mario!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:51 am

Wait a minute...

Mario Schweiger wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Do both islands have ammodytes?

But didn't you post a picture of an ammodytes of the other island at the beginning of this thread?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:08 am

In Greek, either you write something with one "s" or two, you pronounce it exactly the same. But when written in English I think you have to put two "s" to pronounce it better, otherwise it sounds more like "z". There is no rule for that though, you can just write what you see in Greek.

If you see on Mario's map Donoussa is written with one s in Greek, but with two in English. :-) So do whatever you like, no one is going to bother.
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Wait a minute...

Mario Schweiger wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Do both islands have ammodytes?

But didn't you post a picture of an ammodytes of the other island at the beginning of this thread?

Ok, there is a voucher specimen of Testudo marginata from Milos island.
Would you put the species on the islands list? :lol: :lol:
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:Ok, there is a voucher specimen of Testudo marginata from Milos island. Would you put the species on the islands list? :lol: :lol:

So you've been fooling us? :shock: ;) :lol:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Mario Schweiger wrote:Ok, there is a voucher specimen of Testudo marginata from Milos island. Would you put the species on the islands list? :lol: :lol:

So you've been fooling us? :shock: ;) :lol:

No! But is a single specimen enough for a distribution record? Especially, if all others say: " No vipers on Kato 'Koufonisi".
Additionally I have to admit, I really didnt care for distribution records in the 80ies and 90ies, when visiting many of the Cyclade islands. So it was nothing special, until Stephanos told me the opposite before a few years
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby jonathan webster » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Peter

I visited Naxos in 2011 (from May 22 - 5 June) and had quite a productive herping trip. For the first week I was based near Kastraki in the S.W region of the island. In the general area both L.Stellio, P.Erhardii and C.Kotschyi were very abundant, less so were L. Trilineata with only 3 or 4 specimens seen and H. Turcicus again only a couple of specimens observed. Also seen was a single specimen of V. Ammodytes ( the only one seen on the trip) and likewise a fleeting glance of N. Persa. In the extreme south of the island were a number of streams and these had good numbers of M. Rivulata. One evening I visited a small beach resort north of the capital Hora and in one of the remaining pools still retaining some water were 1,000's of metamorphosing E. Viridis. For the second week I headed north and stayed just south of the town of Melanes and spent most of the time touring the immediate region and especially the area south towards Kato Potamia and Halki. Again there were several streams with good numbers of M. Rivulata and green frogs which I think may have been P. Kurtmuelleri (but I am happy to be corrected !) and also my first specimen of E. Quatuorlineata Muenteri which was basking by the stream edge. But perhaps the highlight of the trip were the number of E. Jaculus observed, a total of 13 in all. All were found under flat stones and varied between immatures and adults. They appear to be widespread across the island as were found in all the areas that were surveyed over the two weeks. Hope if you get to Naxos you have a good trip.
jonathan webster

Hometown: Worthing

Postby Andre Schmid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:07 pm

That sounds great ! Thanks for your usefull tipps/experience for Naxos !
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:58 pm

That's interesting indeed!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula