glass lizards

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

glass lizards

Postby Jordon cross » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:52 am

a few of the dozen glass lizards caught herping Corfu, Greece .I missed out on a few ,most caught early morning basking about 7-9am and randomly throughout the day.They love the road side bushes alongside all other habitats including rocky and grassy areas
Attachments
glass lizard.jpg
glass lizard.jpg (101.61 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
Jordon cross

Hometown: Newcastle

Re: glass lizards

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:13 pm

too bad im night owl but i will try to find them next week in montenegro, thanks for protips
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:too bad im night owl but i will try to find them next week in montenegro, thanks for protips

The tips are very much OK, that's where/how you find them.

However, pardon an intrusion like this, but ever since I found my first Pseudopus apodus, I’ve
failed to understand the obsession of so many people with (finding) this particular species.
They just don’t deserve it (the beasts, not the people...) If one just wants to make a YES tick
on his/her species list, and brag about it here or elsewhere, OK, but the whole idea looks
much like philately to me.
I apologize to all the "philatelists" around here - just ignore me.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Michal Szkudlarek wrote:too bad im night owl but i will try to find them next week in montenegro, thanks for protips

However, pardon an intrusion like this, but ever since I found my first Pseudopus apodus, I’ve
failed to understand the obsession of so many people with (finding) this particular species.
They just don’t deserve it (the beasts, not the people...) If one just wants to make a YES tick
on his/her species list, and brag about it here or elsewhere, OK, but the whole idea looks

yes i want to tick this species, suprisingly i did not find that species when in croatia and B&H
does this species run away fast when it hears someone walking nearby, like most snakes?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:37 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:

And why would you think this? I don't see what makes them less interesting animal than any other species.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:46 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:

And why would you think this? I don't see what makes them less interesting animal than any other species.

Surely more interesting than some humans :mrgreen: around here. :twisted:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:yes i want to tick this species, suprisingly i did not find that species when in croatia and B&H
does this species run away fast when it hears someone walking nearby, like most snakes?

Yes, they can be surprisingly fast. And being a lizard, it can actually HEAR you passing nearby.
So in most cases they shoot away and don't pause to give you a chance.
http://www.bayramgocmen.com/album/pictu ... s/34-bursa
If you are very lucky, you might come across an individual that just stays put. Not often, but
it does happen.
Good luck!

P. S.
An another tip: Just like most snakes, P. apodus is rather slow and clumsy on GRAVEL, so if you
chance to spot one amidst an unpaved road, you have a chance to be much faster. I tried that
only once – jumped out of the car, ran as a madman, while the beast was struggling with the
non-user-friendly substrate... I was sure of a complete success... Unfortunately (for me), it
managed to reach the edge of the road half a second before I could grab it, and whoooosh!
No catch, no photo. But at least I have the proof that they can be found in central Istria...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Michal Szkudlarek wrote:yes i want to tick this species, suprisingly i did not find that species when in croatia and B&H

Yes, they can be surprisingly fast. And being a lizard, it can actually HEAR you passing nearby.
So in most cases they shoot away and don't pause to give you a chance.
http://www.bayramgocmen.com/album/pictu ... s/34-bursa
If you are very lucky, you might come across an individual that just stays put. Not often, but
it does happen.
Good luck!

I'm fairly certain most people with some experience with this species will disagree with Bero, as I do. Until they chime in, let me give you my take.

At least in spring, glass lizards are much easier to find and catch than nearly all snake species. For example, I caught maybe 4 or 5 snakes during my spring trip to the Peloponnese, while I could have caught at least 20 glass lizards, but just didn't bother. Of course, some will be able to get away, but in general I would imagine they just seem to rely on their body armor, rather than burning fuel to get away from you.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:... while I could have caught at least 20 glass lizards, but just didn't bother. Of course, some will be able to get away, but in general I would imagine they just seem to rely on their body armor, rather than burning fuel to get away from you.

Maybe you're an early riser, which I'm not. I guess they are pretty "lazy" in the early morning, or early spring,
while still rather cold, but when it gets hot, they do "burn the fuel" to disappear very quickly. (My personal observations, not the scientific/statistical truth.)

... but in general I would imagine they just seem to rely on their body armor...

The bigger they are, the more they seem to rely on it... Good news for those who adore in situ photos.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:... while I could have caught at least 20 glass lizards, but just didn't bother. Of course, some will be able to get away, but in general I would imagine they just seem to rely on their body armor, rather than burning fuel to get away from you.

Maybe you're an early riser, which I'm not. I guess they are pretty "lazy" in the early morning, or early spring,
while still rather cold, but when it gets hot, they do "burn the fuel" to disappear very quickly. (My personal observations, not the scientific/statistical truth.)

Well, then maybe you should try to look for glass lizards or snakes when it's not hot? You might even find a situla.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula