Ophisops elegans

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Ophisops elegans

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know to what subspecies is the european O.elegans assigned? Bulgarian populations are said to be O.e.ehrenbergii but in other literature european form is O.e.macrodactylus!?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Re: Ophisops elegans

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 am

Hello Ilian,

all in Europe (including the only in political Europe: Lesbos, Rhodos, etc.) and western Turkey living O. elegans are all ssp. macrodactylus.
Since the revalidation of this ssp. and description of ssp. basoglui, ssp. ehrenbergii is restricted to Syria and adjected areas.
See: Baran & Budak (1978): Anadolu´dan yeni bir Ophisops elegans (Lacertidae, Reptilia) formu hakkinda.- Ege Üniv. Fen.Fak. Dergisi, Bornova, (B) II, 2: 185 - 192.
PDF-0480 in database

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Hello Mario,

Thank you for the answer! I asked because in both "Amphibians & Reptiles In Bulgaria" by V.Beshkov and K.Nanev (2006) and "Biserkov, V. (Editor), 2007. A Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of Bulgaria. Sofia, Green Balkans, 196 pp." it is written that Bulgarian Ophisops is ssp. ehrenbergii and I was wondering why!
Ilian Velikov

Postby Nikolay Tzankov » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Hallo Ilian,
I think you need to check again "Biserkov, V. (Editor), 2007. A Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of Bulgaria. Sofia, Green Balkans, 196 pp."
page 97.
N/
Nikolay Tzankov

Hometown: Sofia

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Hello Nikolay,

I did check again and you are right! The field guide says it's ssp. macrodactylus! When I first wrote this I was refering to "Beshkov.V, Nanev.K,2006. Amphibians and Reptiles in Bulgaria".
Ilian Velikov

Return to Balkan peninsula