Malpolon monspessulanus venom?

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Malpolon monspessulanus venom?

Postby Avery Leatherwood » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 am

So, yesterday I came across a sub adult Malpolon monspessulanus and lucky for me I was wearing gloves, because the snake was the most defensive I had ever come across. I have done my research on the species, however, I have found that there really is almost no information online surrounding the venom. I did come across an essay surrounding an envenomation in marseille, where a man inserted his finger into the snakes mouth. From what I gather, symptoms began to occur a few hours after the bite, and he went to the hospital about 24h after the bite. Later, the symptoms included ptosis and oculomotor paralysis. (Source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17669456/)

As this extreme case is the only real source of information online I could find (other sources were not reliable) it lead me to wonder if anyone here had either experienced a bite from this species or knew more?
Avery Leatherwood

Hometown: Pamplona

Re: Malpolon monspessulanus venom?

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:17 am

I've been bitten a few times by insignitus, up to 1 metre, or a bit longer, without any signs of envenomation.
A bite by a close to 2 m long monspessulanus near Montpellier showed some envenomation. A swollen and blue finger for 2 days, but nothing more
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Rob Andriessen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:52 pm

I was bitten once by an Insignitus of around 1 m in Kefalonia. It resulted in a swollen hand/lower arm for a few hours, which was a bit sensitive but not very painful. The photos were quite spectacular though.
Rob Andriessen

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Francesco Tri » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 pm

It is better not to get bitten, they are all poisonous, some more, some less!
Once I was bitten by a Hyerophys viridiflavus in Sardinia, I lost a lot of blood and the wound did not heal!
Francesco Tri

Hometown: BARI ITALY

Return to Iberian peninsula