Need help - Looking for a new Zoom Lens

Here you may discuss on cameras, photo technics, image software, etc.

Moderator: Christoph Riegler

Need help - Looking for a new Zoom Lens

Postby Matthew Stevens » Fri May 05, 2017 7:03 am

Hello Everyone.

I need to start with how happy I am to be a part of this forum and that I am looking forward to speaking with you all and hopefully finding answers to my problems.

Right now I'm thinking about upgrading my gear. So I thought I just call out for some advice. I currently own a Nikon 7200D with a basic 17 to 55 mm zoom lens. What I would like to buy is a decent telephoto zoom lens. I found Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable for my camera. So I did some research and checked out some websites classified adds as well as well known trusted shopping sites like http://www.for-sale.co.uk/nikon-camera-lenses. And there are lots for sale. But I'm not sure about the focal length. So I found some common combinations like the following:

* 16-300 mm
* 18-270 mm
* 18-200 mm
* 28-300 mm

I currently tend to the 16-300mm, because from time to time I'd like to shoot some macro shots as well. Furthermore this lens provides a good, overall range. Or would you recommend a different one? What are your experiences?

The next big point is the brand. I know Sigma and Tamron both provide great lenses. I guess the Tamron is a bit more expensive than the Sigma. But what are the differences? So which brand should I pick?

The last thing, both lenses a pretty pricey. That's why I was thinking about buying a lens second hand. But I'm not totally sure. Is is advisable or not? And are there some common pitfall to avoid?

Sorry about all these questions but I don't know that much about lenses. Therefore any feedback is highly appreciated

Mat.
Matthew Stevens

Hometown: Dublin

Re: Need help - Looking for a new Zoom Lens

Postby Tomas Klacek » Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 am

Hi Matthew,

I´m not a pro photographer, but I will try to help. First of all, I think you have to decide, what type of photography you gonna do, what is your priority?

I do not know any of these lens, but in general, more wider zoom range = less quality. When you have such a great and capable camera body, (in my opinion) it is a pitty to go this wide range way. If gear weight is a priority for you and you do not want to buy any other lenses, it is a good reason to buy one. I guess all of these lenses are average and using them will be a compromise between image quality, price and weight.

Buying secondhand is not a probem for me, If you can arrange personal meeting and can try specific lens with your body.

I have a Nikon D7100 with a 6 lenses (all purchased secondhand), but for herp photography I use just two of them – sigma 150mm/ f2.8 (macro lens, any of yours are not a macro lenses, magnification has to be 1:1), It´s optically great, great for close-ups, usable for in-situ shots and even like a tele lens. I love it, but if you want to take pictures of birds and any other shy animals, 300mm will be short. For landscapes and wide-angle shots I´m currently using Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8 lens.
Hope it would help.
Cheers,
Tomas
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Lennart Schmid » Sat May 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Have you thought about a 70-300mm lens? They are quite a bit sharper than these travel-zoom lenses and usually have great Vibration control. Ive personally owned the tamron 70-300 VC and it was absolutely great, the nikon however seems to be a bit better, yet more pricey.
I hope i could help you a little :)

Greetings, Paul
Lennart Schmid

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Matthew Stevens » Mon May 08, 2017 6:32 am

Alright. Thanks for these hints.
Matthew Stevens

Hometown: Dublin

Postby Niklas Ban » Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 am

All these lenses are in my eyes a trade off.. which much bad sides. You got a pretty good camera so put some decent glass on it. The 70-300 by Nikon (with VR!!) is quite cheap and you can buy it often used. I have it and used it a lot.
Another good one is the 80-200 2.8 which is a little bit older but excellent glass and used you get it for little money!
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 pm

I will never buy a lens new unless there is nothing on the used market. You can aim for 50% of the new price.

You forgot to mention your budget. Rather pointless to list recommendations. :D What you pay is what you get.
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Return to Photo Laboratory