Any ideas?

Re: Any ideas?

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:52 am

Mario Schweiger wrote:P. siculus? Only two ssp. left => siculus and campestris ;)

http://www.lacerta.de/AS/Species.php?Species=85 ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Daniel Kane » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Due to the large number of excellent photos in various threads all over the forum, and the seemingly large number of keen photographers on the forum, how about a dedicated photo competition each month? There could be a separate section in the forum for this with a thread for each month of the year created by the admin and an option to vote next to each photo. There could be a different theme for the images each month (to decide what the theme for the month will be, maybe a poll or suggestions from members and a final theme chosen by the admin?) e.g. January = herp habitats in winter, April = mating behaviour/breeding colours, August = neonates, September = herps preparing to hibernate, etc... This could be something for members interested in photography to aim to do each month; a way of inspiring creativity. What do you think?
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Daniel Kane wrote:Due to the large number of excellent photos in various threads all over the forum, and the seemingly large number of keen photographers on the forum, how about a dedicated photo competition each month? There could be a separate section in the forum for this with a thread for each month of the year created by the admin and an option to vote next to each photo. There could be a different theme for the images each month (to decide what the theme for the month will be, maybe a poll or suggestions from members and a final theme chosen by the admin?) e.g. January = herp habitats in winter, April = mating behaviour/breeding colours, August = neonates, September = herps preparing to hibernate, etc... This could be something for members interested in photography to aim to do each month; a way of inspiring creativity. What do you think?

I like it! Don't think I'll do much competing, though, because I'm a reporter, rather than a Real Photographer. Might end up being won by 1 or only very few people, but who cares.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Daniel Kane » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: Might end up being won by 1 or only very few people, but who cares.

Well exactly, who cares. It is just for fun! If one person finds it easy to have great results when photographing e.g. close-ups, there is no guarantee that they will find it as easy to take nice telephoto, in-situ shots.
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Thomas Bader » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Good idea - but I think it should not be just for fun. We should take advantage and feed Marios excellent database with photos.
I really like the way how lacerta.de presents their species with photos selected for different countries and I often look there to identify difficult lizard species (Acanthos or Eremias).
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Martin Romanov » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Altough I'm not much of a photographer and got my gear recently (which is not much either :D ) it's still a great idea!
Martin Romanov

Hometown: Sofia

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 am

Photo competition ;)
Yes, I was also thinking about a thing like this!
The idea by Daniel is a good one - my opinion ;)
So let´s start this thing with August/September: neonates
One picture by each member, so take care, which one you will use (if you upload more, only your first one will count).
The competition will start (for this two month comp.) after the end of September within the first days of October by a poll.
You will find it below our "fieldherpers Cafe"
Have fun!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Andre Schmid » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:22 pm

A few years ago I was also the chief on a cornsnake board for the photo competition from the board members...one problem I saw many many times was that every one upload a photo in different sizes...one guy put a 250x100 pix photo to the competition...an other a 2500x1000 ...and so on...I think we should fix one pic size if you will not have problems like this maybe 1000x X or 800x X ? Or maybe from 800xX to 1000xX... :)
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Why Chalcides simonyi Steindachner, 1891 is not in our database? Is this species invalid?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Why Chalcides simonyi Steindachner, 1891 is not in our database? Is this species invalid?

Following the Reptile database http://reptile-database.reptarium.cz/species?genus=Chalcides&species=viridanus&search_param=%28%28common_name%3D%27chalcides+simonyi%27%29%29, Chalcides simonyi is a synonym of Chalcides viridanus!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

PreviousNext

Return to Making the Forum better ......