Another hello from Germany

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Another hello from Germany

Postby Marc Prokein » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi,
My name is Marc, I´m 33 and come from Oberhausen in NRW, Germany.
There isn´t a lot to tell about my herping in the past, because I just started walking around in the wild with my Camera in autumn 2010.
But it wasn´t succesfull. The first Vipera berus I found on my own was in spring 2011.
Through the hole year I got more excited and so I started to spend a lot of my free time in searching different herps that could be found around my hometown.

My list at the moment isn´t as long as I wanted it to be, but I´m lucky with what I´ve found so far.´

The Idea to get into this forum came into my mind while I was searching for good locations to visit in my Summer Holiday in Croatia.
Of course I don`t expect to much for this two weeks in July, but I really want to find something
This two weeks should be a great Holiday for my family and me, and not always bored children and a father lying in the Grass with his Cam in front of him :D

I want to plan some trips to some nice places in Croatia where the chance is quite good to see some herps.
Maybe someone here can help me to plan one ore another excirsion during my trip.

Greets Marc
Marc Prokein

Hometown: Oberhausen

Re: Another hello from Germany

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi Marc
In Croatia during two weeks You can find a lot, but less if one accommodation during all trip is chosen. I have been there four times so I am able to help a bit, but- what are You most interested in?
Greets
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Marc Prokein » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Our flat during this two weeks will be in Senj, close to the coast.

I really have no special species except Vipera ammodytes. To find one would be great.
Also one or two daytrips to Krk are on my plan and also away from the coast I think I want to see Plitvice Lakes.
Marc Prokein

Hometown: Oberhausen

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 pm

In Plitvice Lakes I have found marsh frogs and dice snakes. But this place is enormously overcrowded, thus herping is difficult unless you leave the trail that is prohibited. I had a accommodation in Plitvice neighbourhood but despite rainy night and leafy forest I didn't manage to find salamanders. Below pic of this place- probably it was too stony. I think that balcanica.info will be useful to plan Your trip.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Welcome! There's also Iberolacerta horvathi at Plitvice, but you need to have a keen eye and go early in the day...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:34 am

Hello Marc,

in Senj you are sitting "in the center" of northern Adriatic coastal herpetofauna.
In your back you have Kapela and Velebit mountains, and in your front the nice islands Krk and Rab.
And dont forget the narrow, but rich in herps coastal stripe.

Your preference, a long nose, is living there everywhere around. But you have to check really early in the morning, lets say (7)8 to 9 a.m.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:10 am

In July 2002, I found my first ammodytes ever in July in that area. We drove inland into that massive dark green patch you can see on GE north of Senj and checked out open spots in the woods after a rare, rainy night. The sneaky snake was creeping up a rocky outcrop, trying to grab the first horvathi's I ever saw. Perhaps this kind of habitat might be more productive for ammodytes in summer, because it's cooler than the coastal lowlands. Still, if this is your first time down there, you'll surely spot some stuff at the coast too.

probably it was too stony

Looks great to me...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:29 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:

Looks great to me...

Maybe I found nothing because it was forest edge and I didn't spend enought time there. :|
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:34 am

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:

Looks great to me...

Maybe I found nothing because it was forest edge and I didn't spend enought time there. :|

Well, for one thing, forest edges have been cited to maintain higher densities of individuals. My own site-specific observations seem to confirm that, as I usually find 2/3 of the animals on less than 1/2 of the distance, this half being a forest edge. Can be weird sometimes - in some areas just nothing and then in others you have to watch your step...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:In July 2002, I found my first ammodytes ever in July in that area. We drove
inland into that massive dark green patch you can see on GE north of Senj...

Jeroen, could you please define this "massive dark green patch ... north of Senj" a little
bit more precisely? Depending on the scale you have in mind, it could be just anything...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Next

Return to Introduce yourself