A few words about myself.

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

A few words about myself.

Postby miguel santos » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Greetings to all in the forum.

With 46 years of age I'm probably a bit older than most of the other members, but from what I could see and read in the forum my interests are similar to most of you.
I grew up in an industrial town south of Lisbon in Portugal. I was used to see moorish gecko's and iberian wall lizards on my window sill and my parents greatlly helped me in my love for nature.
I spent 3 years in the Azores islands during my military service and later at the age of 22 I moved to the Netherlands and live there ever since.
I do a bit of bird waching and I've been in Ecuador, Costa Rica, Philippines and in most countries in western Europe. For about 10 years I took is easy because of my two kids but in the last years we've been going herping in Portugal, Spain, France, the Benelux, Ceuta and Greece.
Costa Rica is in the planning for next year.... I would love te revisit some places I've been before with more time and this time with a good camera.

See you all in the field,

Greetings Luis Miguel
Attachments
eu.jpg
eu.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 7453 times
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Re: A few words about myself.

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:18 am

Welcome to the boards Miguel!
I think it would be interesting for us to see some sort of ''best of'' compilation of all your years in the field, and don`t be shy about posting rare birds.;)
Cheers!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby miguel santos » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:33 pm

That is a good idea Vlad,
I'll have a look what I have laying arround on paper and more recently on bits and bytes.
I will have to take some time on it to make a nice selection. Don' t expect too much from my early years, I did see a lot but I did not have a decent camera for quite some time.

All the best, Miguel
miguel santos

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Welcome Miguel,
I already enjoyed our in-depth discussion about P. carbonelli in this forum - heading for more exchange of experience like this.
Cheers
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Paul Lambourne » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:24 am

Miguel,

Welcome! theres nothing wrong with being 46, I would say it is the optimum age for a field herper :D and as for not having a decent camera in the past.. Ive had a decent camera for years..and my pictures are still rubbish :D

Did you see Ischnura hastata on the Azores.. its one of my last ischnura ticks.

Kind regards

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby miguel santos » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Paul,

I had a quick look on wikipedia and if this species was described in 1990 as living in the Azores I would not have known then what it was... I left the Azores in 1989!
I realized back then that there were not many species about like in continental Portugal but I can not say that I saw it or not. I saw a few small ones flying arround.. perhaps they were the ones.
I found it fascinating to read that they reproduce by parthenogenesis. I did not know that damselflyies could reproduce in that way.
I saw that they also live it central america maybe I can see them in Costa Rica next year :D

Greetings,

Miguel
miguel santos

Postby miguel santos » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:41 pm

As I promissed here are some pictures I took in 1995 in Ecuador. I could not find all the names of the species. I apreciate tips on the thin snake, the gray lizard and the turtle. The turtle was found in a park in Guayaquil, the gray lizard to the west of Guayaquil in the dry forest. The rest was shoot to the east of Puyo in the amazon area.
Thanks
Attachments
DSC_0192.JPG
not shy at all, but no good lens.
DSC_0185.JPG
I think it was bitten on the side.....
DSC_0180.JPG
very Lucky to see this one before it disapeared
DSC_0176.JPG
this and the next pic to help identify the snake.
DSC_0174.JPG
DSC_0163.JPG
quite an impressive animal
miguel santos

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:51 am

The snake is Oxybelis aeneus, I think. The turtle and lizard don't ring any bells... Lizards reminds me of Sceloporus, but that's most likely wrong.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:07 am

Chelydra serpentina maybe?
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby miguel santos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll try to research further on them. In the mean time I got a tip on the lizard from outside this forum. A friend of mine said he saw pictures of lizards from the Galagagos that resembeld it.
I went on to find a family of Lava lizards ( microlophus ) and a relative on the coastal areas of Ecuador and Peru.
I think it is a Knobbed Pacific Iguana ( Microlophus occipitalis ). Not a big Iguana but a small sized lizard. The spanish name : lagartija del arenal ( sand lizard ) seems more appropriate.
miguel santos

Next

Return to Introduce yourself