Hello from Portugal!

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Re: Hello from Portugal!

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Ana Goncalves wrote:
Ronald Zimmerman wrote:Nice Vipera latastei! I am so jealous. You have great nature around you :)

I wish it could be more protected. Unfortunately there's many problems with invasive species, monocultures of Eucalyptus and Pinus, wildfires (many of them correlated with monocultures) dams,... that destroy places very rich in wildlife :( The major problem is that, even if we recover part of the ecossystems that have been "hurted", it will never be as before and some endemic species are lost forever.
But...Even if fragmented, we still have true biodiversity paradises :) And they are quite different from north to south.

As being from the Netherlands I know everything about it ;) :(
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman

Hometown: Haarlem

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:57 am

A warm welcome from my part as well! Portugal is one of my favourite European countries and we don't get to see a lot from it around here. The crazy Salamandra's alone make it more than interesting, but everyone just has to love Chioglossa...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ana Goncalves » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:A warm welcome from my part as well! Portugal is one of my favourite European countries and we don't get to see a lot from it around here. The crazy Salamandra's alone make it more than interesting, but everyone just has to love Chioglossa...
I will try to post here some of the species that I find during my field trips in Portugal :-)
Ana Goncalves

Hometown: Tomar

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi Ana, nice to have someone from this beautiful country in the forum.
I would be interested to see more shots of Podarcis carbonelli from Portugal: We recently had a discussion how to distinguish between P. carbonelli and P. hispanicus type 1.
See here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1650
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Ana Goncalves » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote:Hi Ana, nice to have someone from this beautiful country in the forum.
I would be interested to see more shots of Podarcis carbonelli from Portugal: We recently had a discussion how to distinguish between P. carbonelli and P. hispanicus type 1.
See here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1650

By now I don't have many pictures of Podarcis carbonelli :( ...but I can show you this one. It's eating a small beetle.

Podarcis carbonelli berlengensis.jpg
Podarcis carbonelli berlengensis
Berlenga (Portugal)
07/09/11
Ana Goncalves

Hometown: Tomar

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Grrr...Berlenga: In Juli, I waited 3 days at Peniche hoping that the rain stopped. But it didn't - so no Berlenga trip for me.
But this species seems to be quite variable. Your specimen has a quite different pattern than those I saw at Peniche.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby miguel santos » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Olá Ana,
Nice to "see"some one from my corner of the world. By the looks of it you have a good background to join the forum. You will find a regular group of guys that will help on almost anything anyweare. I'm sure you can help with more local knowledge.
See you arround,
Miguel
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Postby GertJan Verspui » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Welcome Ana,

Looking forward to your part of the herps that are to be seen on this forum, it has been just over a year that I visited your country and I wanne go again!
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Previous

Return to Introduce yourself