The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Postby Martti Niskanen » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Hello

I recently joined the forum and would like to introduce myself. I'm Martti Niskanen, a 31 year old biologist and herpetologist from Finland. I'm slowly workin on a PhD in evolution of polymorphism in Zootoca vivipara in the university of Jyväskylä, Fin. My other (and favorite) study subject is the aposematism of Vipera zigzag patterns.

I'm an enthusiastic field herper and have both field work and field herping experience from Finland (of course), Sweden, Estonia, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, B-H, UK, Thailand and Malaysia.
My next field herping opportunity will be in Tuscany after the European Vipers congress in Pisa in april. Any tips regarding where to go there are much appreciated.

I'm very much into herp photography and I'll add some sample shots below (yes, the top one is a Vipera berus and yes, that is snow in the bottom left hand corner):

Cheers

Martti
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Re: New member

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi Martti,
your Zootoca work sounds quite interesting! I also didn't know that the zigzags on viperas is an aposematism - I thought it was some camouflage...
Great pictures, too!
Regards
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Sebastian Holzki » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Hello Martti,

welcome to the forum.
Really nice pictures.
Sebastian Holzki

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Martti Niskanen » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Peter:

Here's the stuff I'm working on:

Wüster ,W. Allum, C.S.E. Bjargardóttir, I.B. Bailey, K. Dawson, K.J. Guenioui, J. Lewis, J. McGurk, J. Moore, A.G. Niskanen, M. & Pollard, C.P. 2004. Do aposematism and Batesian mimicry require bright colours? A test, using European viper markings. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Biological Sciences 271(1556), 2495 – 2499.

Niskanen, M. & Mappes, J. 2005: Significance of the dorsal zigzag pattern of Vipera latastei gaditana against avian predators. Journal of Animal Ecology 74: 1091-1101.

and more on the way :)

Cheers

-Martti
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:03 am

Hello Martti,

welcome on board!!!!!!!!

great shots!!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria