Hello from Germany

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Hello from Germany

Postby Heiko Wehner » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm the new guy :)

My name is Heiko, I currently live in Marburg, Germany and I recently turned 30.
A few years ago I started keeping scorpions, today I'm succesfully breeding some species and I'm a moderator in a german scorpion-board.
Besides my scorpions I'm keeping a Phelsuma kochi (which is a daygecko from Madagascar).
Through the Terraristik I slipped into photography about one and a half years ago, since I wanted to have some nice pictures of my animals.
With the camera in my hands, I began to feel the urge to not only shoot my animals in their enclosures, but to also go out and check my surroundings. Quickly I re-discovered the fascination of seeing and searching all those different animals that (I guess) most people feel as a child but seem to forget when growing older.
This year I got my first decent pictures of some Zootoca vivipara, that's when I realized all the last year I was so involved with insects and spiders that I completely missed all our reptiles and amphibians.
I hope I can change this in the near future.
Step one will be that middle of this month I'll be visiting the Ticino for one or two weeks and spend some days in the field.
Of course, as a passionate hobby-scorpion-keeper I'll check out Euscorpius italicus and E. alpha in their natural habitat, but I'll also try my best to find some of the Ticino's reptiles.
I did quite some research online and wrote to a lot of people (e.g. the user Jürgen Gebhart may recognize me, I'm the guy from flickr ;) ) to gather information and (what seems next to impossible for someone who hasn't got contacts to experienced people) good spots to start the search for some animals.
I think I tried everything I could, now all I can do is hope for the best when I'm down there. (Down there is Vallemaggia, Valle Verzasca, Monte San Giorgio, at least those are my planned locations.)

I hope that after the trip I'll be able to provide you with some pictures of my finds, until then I'll leave some shots of the above-mentioned Zootoca and (I hope that it's okay, since they are captive specimen, if not wanted, contact me or let moderators or admin edit my post) some scorpions here.

Ah, and by the way, that's me (another hobby of mine, retro-videogames :) ):
Dr. Wily never had a chance... von folgeschaden auf Flickr

Zootoca vivipara (Waldeidechse) von folgeschaden auf Flickr

Zootoca vivipara (Waldeidechse) von folgeschaden auf Flickr

Different specimen:
Zootoca vivipara von folgeschaden auf Flickr

Some scorpions:
Parabuthus villosus "black" von folgeschaden auf Flickr

Adult female Belisarius xambeui von folgeschaden auf Flickr

Adult male Lychas scutilus von folgeschaden auf Flickr

Regards,

Heiko
Heiko Wehner

Hometown: Marburg

Re: Hello from Germany

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 am

Welcome Heiko,

great introduction of yourself ;)

and very nice Zootoca shots!
The sccorpions pictures are great (don´t mind, they have been shot in Terrariums) :!:

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Heiko Wehner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:11 am

Hello Mario,

thank you!

Just realised I had a mistake in my introduction though... I'm not going to the Ticino next month... my trip is planned for this month, in about two weeks I'll be down there :)

Regards,

Heiko
Heiko Wehner

Hometown: Marburg

Postby Sebastian Holzki » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello Heiko, welcome.

Great pictures you´ve shot.
Sebastian Holzki

Hometown: Berlin

Return to Introduce yourself