Vipera latastei: bite symptoms

Here You may discuss on the toxicology of reptiles, envenomation, snake bites, books on this topic, etc. - This "scary" picture (its the admins right arm) should remind you to be very carefull, when handling venomous snakes!

Re: Vipera latastei: bite symptoms

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:03 pm

I should mention that the bite Jan had in the Gredos mnts. was incomplete - only part of the venom went into his body, as most(?) stayed on the glove.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Tim Leerschool » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:18 pm

A good friend of mine is studying V. berus for over 40 years now in the same area. In these years he has been bitten several times and he notices that every time he got bit the reaction got worse. I believe that the reaction to a certain venomous bite becomes more intense every time you get bitten. Last time he needed to rush to the hospital.

With this example I would like to show you that even V. berus, which is considered sometimes as a harmless viper can be quite dangerous.

The way you react to a certain venom is different in every person. Some people have bad reactions in bites whereas other people don't experience a thing.

I should also mention that the venom can be more ''powerfull'' in some cases. If the viper did not eat in a long time the venomconcentration is higher and therefore can give a bigger impact.

Hope you can make sense of it all and this isn't a repeat of stuff you already knew ;)

Tim
Tim Leerschool

Hometown: Limburg

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:only part of the venom went into his body, as most(?) stayed on the glove

Then the thing is very different... I don´t know anybody bitten by latastei that didn´t visit hospital. I just remeber J.P Gonzalez de la Vega was bitten by latastei in a exposition and he had to be airlifted...

Tim Leerschool wrote:Some people have bad reactions in bites whereas other people don't experience a thing

I know even people who had to visit hospital because Malpolon monspessulanus bite (back fangs of course) because they feel vomits, burning feeling and same feelings like another guy (Juan) with seoanei seoanei. This is very complicated and it seems to affect many factors (age, health, alergies of the victim and characteristic of the snake: age, dry or "full" bites, like you say when snake didn´t eat in months...).

Tim Leerschool wrote:Hope you can make sense of it all and this isn't a repeat of stuff you already knew ;)

Sure Tim! All of us know the stuff. I´ve never been bitten yet, and I hope to live many years without bites ;) maybe with 80 years die by Dendroaspis polylepis bite in Kenya could be a good dead for a herpetologist, but not before!!! (I´m joking!!! :lol:) The weekend has come and my head is crazy ;)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:Crotalus is another history of course

I'll try to keep it in mind, when/if I see some in California, starting Monday ;) :D
At least, it will give this forum a well-deserved rest from my overflow of useless babble :lol:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I'll try to keep it in mind, when/if I see some in California, starting Monday ;) :D

Mario please I suggest the expulsion of this guy for giving us too much envy :lol:

California is in my plans for next years. Arizona is full of obsessed rangers and you can go to jail by having a hook in the car no matter if you don´t have herps in the car and nothing like this. And north of MExico maybe you are herping and dissapear and nobody never find you so California seems the Crotalus destiny. If you find a Crotalus cerastes I promise I´ll never going to talk with you again! :evil: :lol:

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:give this forum a well-deserved rest from my overflow of useless babble

By this way I should go to Australia some years... :lol:
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Johann.Mols » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Gabri

Regarding your last post, may I suggest you to click on the below link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Johann.Mol ... uReptiles#

as well as here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Johann.Mol ... 9649210050

I guess I forgot to tell you that I lived in San Diego for some years :D :D :D
Johann
Johann.Mols

Hometown: Louvain la Neuve

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

:shock:

How am I ever going to beat THAT...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:59 pm

what kind of backstabbing is this??? Johann I thought we were friends! Moroccan Telescopus, trip to Indonesia and now this (¿?) :lol: . I was seing your photos some months ago but I saw the inocent turtle in the Arizona main photo and I didn´t enter in this album. Crotalus cerastes are a amazing cratures... I need to see this snake soon...

(sorry everybody in the forum for this "not mediterranean conversation")
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:If you find a Crotalus cerastes I promise I´ll never going to talk with you again! :evil: :lol:

Sorry, man... :D

IMG_9460.jpg
meeting the sidewinder
IMG_9460.jpg (148.07 KiB) Viewed 9866 times

More to come asap!

g's,

J.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Toxicology