Malaysia 2017.

For your reports/images, made outside Europe and the "Mediterranean" countries. Not to be too narrow minded and limited to our European/Mediterranean herps.

Re: Malaysia 2017.

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Ray, are these orangutans in Semenggoh Nature Reserve wild?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ray Hamilton » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:21 pm

If you check out the Sarawak Forestry Corporation website it gives lots of information about Semenggoh and other reserves:

"Semenggoh’s main attraction for visitors is its Wildlife Centre, where endangered species, once kept illegally as pets, are trained on how to fend for themselves before being released into the forest. Over the years, a number of orang utans have been trained and released and now form a wild colony in the reserve."

It can get pretty busy. If you get a chance check out the notice board at the centre which shows a graphic selection of injuries inflicted by the apes on visitors who overstepped the mark when looking for an orang utan selfie.
Ray Hamilton

Hometown: Bournemouth

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Ray, thank you for the replies.
Were all your photos taken with 105mm lens?
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Ray Hamilton » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am

Were all your photos taken with 105mm lens?

The close up shots were taken with the 105 lens - nearly all the nocturnal shots.
Ray Hamilton

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Ray, I left my camera in a bus on Canary Island and when I came back having realized it was left, I did not find it!

Night time jungle walking was easy and there is plenty to do and see during the day.

So it was not a problem that the park is said to close at 5pm? https://www.sarawakforestry.com/parks-a ... onal-park/ Was it safe there? Are there entry fees? Is a guide mandatory? I'm going to be accommodated in Damai Beach Resort Hotel. Did you snorkel there? Is water transparent?
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Ray Hamilton » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:12 am

I'm going to be accommodated in Damai Beach Resort Hotel. Did you snorkel there? Is water transparent?

We didn't snorkel at Damai but I see there is an Aqua/Scuba base at the nearby Puri resort. I'm sure they will be able to advise you about where to go when you get out to Sarawak.

This sign is along the beach at Santubong village - gives an indication of what may be out there...

Was it safe there? Are there entry fees? Is a guide mandatory?

Yes, Kubah feels very safe and you don't need to hire a guide. The entry fees are reasonable, so don't worry about that.

Have a great time and look forward to seeing your report on here.
Ray Hamilton

Previous

Return to Herping in the rest of the world