equipment

That´s the place to discuss on sytematics, distribution, etc.

Re: equipment

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Get the Zebralight H600. One 18650 battery which lasts 4 hrs at 350lm. Can go up to 1000lm which is too bright for herping as you'll blind yourself when looking up close. It costs only 100 and is tiny. It's perfect!
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Which smartphone has good GPS showing my position from within a car?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby lakiere pieter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Well I used to have a led lenser and now I have a couple of Petzl headlamps. My experience with the ledlenser was not good. The rechargeable battery was not functioning anymore after 3 times charging. The strap was not stretching anymore after a while. The hinge was broken and the automatic boost function did not work anymore. I am a petzl fan yes. It is true I believe lumens are not everything when herping. For spotting mammals you need a strong powerfull lamp but for herping the strongest is not necessarily the best. If you are going to herp in forests you need less lumen than in an open field. Petzl origanally manufactured for speleologists. So it has to be durable. The petzl nao+ is good. Also you can check the actik core and reactik+. All of these you can extend with rechargeable batteries.
lakiere pieter

Hometown: bellegem

Postby Christoph Stenger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 am

@ Michal: all of the iPhones I habe used and still use were able to perform this task, sometimes they needed to be placed under the front window. So I think any smartphone will be able to perform.

Regarding torches, I use a couple of Fenix ones. Rechargeable and tough. I especially like their headlamps.
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Hometown: Hanau

Previous

Return to Theoretical Section