MOROCCO TRIP 27 april-6 may

Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia, Libya, Egypt, Sinai

Re: MOROCCO TRIP 27 april-6 may

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Sun May 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:At least in US deserts, it is considered rather crucial. This is one of the reasons why I chose the timing of my forthcoming Arizona trip in September like I did. Hopefully, it pays off. Would be nice to hear other people's opinions...

Yes Jeroen, I know this, some USA studies about the activity in Crotalus sp. They found in same month 15 in a night without moon and 2 in a night with full moon. But the rare thing is that we didnt find any track! And next day in a Cerastes cerastes habitat no vipers actived, in creeks, nothing. Just a juvenile/subadult under a rock. I am really surprised with this low activity in "mating season"

Mario Schweiger wrote:So one fail is Cerastes vipera - should be C. cerastes then!

Gabri, also during our visit in Merzouga, we found not one trail of C. vipera. Both specimens observed have been detected close to their hiding place.
As I know from my other trips before, it is much to early (1st half of May) to find C. cerastes, C. vipera, Lytorhynchus at night.
Visiting the area in summer and autumn, the dunes are full with tracks, and then you find the animals too.
You may not compare the coastal dunes, like Khnifis lagoon and others with the interior.

Yes, this is a Cerastes cerastes.

OK, you found them basking :roll: . Last year in Khifiss I found about 10 tracks in 5 minutes, but in a hot wave in june. But we also found 9 Cerastes vipera last year in Negev dunes in final april, In interior and with cold (13-15º). Also in Knifiss we found a Lytorhynchus actived at night in final march. In the last trip when we arrived Merzouga the weather was 20º!! No wind. I hope to find at least 3 or 4 tracks. But no viper tracks. Maybe as you said, in Morocco interiorvipers are waiting the hot months for activity.
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun May 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote: Maybe the moon¿?

We found in the Negev in August 2010, 9 Cerastes vipera and 10 Cerastes cerastes, full moon night!

This year, May 15.05., we made a morning walk over the Dunes and found just two tracks of Cerastes cerastes.
At Friday night, dark night, we found just 4 Cerastes vipera and zero Cerastes cerastes.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:mmm I see this topic now... what to say after the master ?

Yes, I know. Mario made a good ID, now is difficult

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:You discover all in ONE TRIP ????

Yes, but its confused. By pictures its seems a perfect trip full of herps but its wrong. I dont know why this is probably one of my trips to Morocco with lower activity. We just found some species, but with many LUCK, some very interesting (when you see all the photos, you could think: this man is a stupid! how many animals and he is talking stupid things of low activity! But I promise that we were very frustated in the trip, sometimes 3 or 4 herps in a day!! very cool species ok, but just 4. Nothing under stones except in the high places, nothing crossed at night, etc...). Usually in final march or first days of april we found more than 20 Uromastyx, more than 40 Agama, many Psammophis, etc... but in this trip we have found only 2 Uromastyx, 5 Agama and 0 Psammophis alive. And just 5 snakes DOR (incredible!!! usually more than 15 snakes DOR). I dont know the factors: maybe a cold april, full moon for nocturnal snakes, excepcionally dry autumn-winter as Spain, etc...

About your ID:

Natrix maura: ok!! A strange Natrix maura in Jerada with a rare coloration:

178. Natrix maura.. Jerada. Gabri Mtnez. jpg.jpg
178. Natrix maura.. Jerada. Gabri Mtnez. jpg.jpg (245.15 KiB) Viewed 5915 times

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:= Macroprotodon sp. ? cucullatus brevis ?

No, no Rhagerhis moilensis, its not a Macroproton. We found this beauty in the Souss Valley (Taroudant), under a plastic with Amietophrynus mauritanicus and Pelophylax saharicus!!!!! With this size I though that the body would be more dark, but not. Same design as a juvenile

95. Naja haje4. Taroudant. Gabri Mtnez.jpg
95. Naja haje4. Taroudant. Gabri Mtnez.jpg (250.21 KiB) Viewed 5917 times

Varanus. Yes! A very good moment in the trip. My second Varanus in Morocco (the first alive). Only a miracle help us to find it

139.Varanus griseus. Bou Arfa. Gabri Mtnez.jpg
139.Varanus griseus. Bou Arfa. Gabri Mtnez.jpg (184.95 KiB) Viewed 5919 times

Bufo/Amietophrynus mauritanicus: yes

Amieto mauritan. Sidi Ifni. Gabri Mtnez.jpg
Amieto mauritan. Sidi Ifni. Gabri Mtnez.jpg (180.1 KiB) Viewed 5934 times

Baby Spalerosophis or Lytorhynchus? Yes. For me its a juvenile S. dolichospilus, with a strange design.

Malpolon dor ? Jerada... in the north... Natrix natrix astreptophora ?!

I dont know. Snake was very bad. Probably dead since weeks or months. With this size and the place probably Malpolon sp.?
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Sun May 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:We found in the Negev in August 2010, 9 Cerastes vipera and 10 Cerastes cerastes, full moon night!

This year, May 15.05., we made a morning walk over the Dunes and found just two tracks of Cerastes cerastes.
At Friday night, dark night, we found just 4 Cerastes vipera and zero Cerastes cerastes.

Maybe Im frustrated because I compare my experience in Israel, where I DONT KNOW WHY, the density of snakes is awesome. Last year we visited the holy land and we found a lot of herps in everyplaces. In morocco the question was differente :( although with hard work, many kilometers and luck we have found some interesting species.

Maybe the moon dont make a influence in the mediterranean countries. I dont know. As Jeroen, I read something about a study in the States. And one of my friends told me that in South America the nights with full moon they didnt find mammals, snakes... or a low activity. I think in the moon because I dont find another option. In Merzouga (with an excellent population of sand vipers) with 20º, no wind... I dont know the response :?
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Sun May 20, 2012 7:52 pm

A Naja legionis near Tarroudant ?????? My God... VERY VERY NICE !!!
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Niklas Ban » Sun May 20, 2012 7:59 pm

I love the Naja very very amazing animals!
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Sun May 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:A Naja legionis near Tarroudant ??????

Yes. I hoped to find it in Ifni-Guelmim-Tantan. But there we didnt find it. In Taroudant we had the last chance for tropical herps (Souss Valley is a very good place for Hemorrhois, Daboia and MAlpolon, but also its possible to find Bitis, Naja or Boaedon (maybe Dasypeltis?).

Niklas Ban wrote:I love the Naja very very amazing animals!

Thanks Niklas. Cobras are cool. I hope to find in future a desert cobra in Israel to compare them...
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Sun May 20, 2012 9:17 pm

the winter in Morocco was enough cold... you have had a lot of chance !!!
How long was the Naja legionis, 50 cm ?
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Sun May 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:the winter in Morocco was enough cold...

I didnt know it. In final march some friends found actived 2 adult puff adders but april has been bad for herping. Strange final of winter-beggining of the spring

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:How long was the Naja legionis, 50 cm ?

We didnt take snake`s measures, but it was a subadult, probably about 50-60cm.
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Mon May 21, 2012 6:21 am

yes I saw it on facebook... ;)
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

PreviousNext

Return to North Africa