Afternoon Adders

France, British isles

Afternoon Adders

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Finding myself unemployed and with time on my hands, I have been out herping some new sites this week. The first was an afternoon visit to a long grassy limestone bank where my friend Ben had heard reports of Adders Vipera berus being present.My friend always "jokes" that he can never find anything in my company and today was to be no exception. We seperated and began to walk along the hedges and isolated clumps of bushes searching for basking snakes, I got to the end and walked up the bank thinking "This is a waste of time" when I noticed a small piece of roofing felt. I lifted this and found a Grass snake Natrix natrix and a Slow worm Anguis fragilis curled up together. I tried for an in situ shot but they began to move so I picked them up for a few pics before releasing them (once I had told Ben, obviously).We continued onto the second half of the site where I found another Slow worm beneath a stone.
The site

Marbled white Melanargia galathea

Today I spent an afternoon out with my wife checking a new site following a tip from a friend, it is a large pile of waste from old quarry workings in a local forest. I checked it out on the internet and it stated that Grass snakes and Adders were often seen basking on the slopes.We knew nothing about the layout of the site and so wandered around checking likely looking areas, our first interesting find was this Robins' pincushion, a gall produced by the Dog rose in reaction to eggs being laid in its' buds by the parasitic wasp Diplolepis rosae.

On a bank with a mixture of felled trees,branches and clear areas I soon noticed this.

Walking back from here I checked a deer trail to the side of the path and quickly spotted this Adder sunning itself after an obvious meal.

On some of the fallen trees we noticed several Viviparous lizards Zootoca vivipara

We then moved to an area behind the path where some gorse bushes had been cleared, it was a perfect location and we soon spotted a few Adders soaking up the afternoon sun.One of them saw us and disappeared but the other 2 gave us a few photo opportunites including another with a full belly.

Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Re: Afternoon Adders

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:15 am

Great Grass snakes!
No comment on these very nice vipers - not to get others opinion, I´m a vipers boy only ;)

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am

Nice!

Keeps me wondering why we never find these "black-and-white" males in Belgian adders...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Borji Heras » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:46 am

i like this report , the landscape ,and the adders , i want to see my first european viper this summer
Borji Heras

Hometown: bilbao

Postby Matt Wilson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:01 pm

Very nice findings Kev, does anyone else think that the 'male' is in fact a very pale female? I had a female like this at my local site of 'large' berus last week: https://picasaweb.google.com/mjwilsonhe ... 4128020114
In the summer months in the north of England I virtually never see male berus until they congregate around the hibernaculum usually from early September. On the last check I had 5 large females in a quick search, and haven't seen a male since early May. Or perhaps it just my local site :|

Matt
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:I´m a vipers boy only ;)

You don't have to feel ashamed about that ;)
Anyhow: very nice pictures
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Matt,

the last berus is definitively a male! Long, not stepped tail ;)

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Matt Wilson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks Mario, what do you think of the specimen on my photo? I thought this to be a female.
Cheers,
Matt
Matt Wilson

Postby Matt Wilson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Here are some latest berus shots from last week, including the pale individual :) :

3.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

IMG_7014 copy.jpg

16.jpg
Matt Wilson

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Yes, Matt, looks like a female, but I´m not 100% sure!
May you upload the last pic of this individual in max allowed size (1600 pixels wide, 500 KB).
Maybe in a larger picture, the cloaca is visible better!?

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Next

Return to Western Europe