berus weekend

France, British isles

Re: berus weekend

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Overhere, at least some amphibians were earlier out of the water than usual, while some started breeding again after the summer rains (in an attempt to compensate for the lost larvae of spring) - of course Bufo calamita, but also not allegedly(!) less flexible species like Lissotriton vulgaris and Salamandra. Weird year...

Yesterday, while on a walk here in London, I saw a dead R.temporaria which has been killed by a grass cutting machine, and it was full of eggs! How long before spawning do eggs develope inside the frog? I wonder if it was going to spawn now or it would've kept them until spring?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Will Atkins » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi - I'm new to the forum but I've just found this thread and it ties in with some research I've been doing on English smooth snakes (under licence, of course! ;) ). I'm investigating whether they overwinter whilst gravid (in the UK a biennial breeding cycle is generally accepted, but it has been assumed that the gestation period is 5 months or so, followed by the following year 'off' to regain condition.) I have seen female smooth snakes in spring (April/May) which bear all the signs of being gravid, which goes against the literature. I'd be grateful for any info regarding female snakes - especially adder and smooth snake - which appear gravid in early spring.

Thanks in advance; happy to acknowledge any comm.s in future publications

Will

Will Atkins
London Essex and Hertfordshire Amphibian and Reptile Trust (www.lehart.org)
Will Atkins

Hometown: london

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi Will, and welcome to the forum! Yeah, the thread is interesting but it looks like it contains more questions than answers! Hopefully, someone could help with more information!

Can you answer my common frog question? (see my previous post) Have you observed any gravid female frogs in this time of year in London?
Ilian Velikov

Postby Will Atkins » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Ilian. Common frogs in the UK will already have been making eggs during the summer and autumn, ready for immediate spawning at the slightest sign of winter's end next spring. So any poor female which is killed at this time of year will appear to have eggs in place already, but they would not have been laid til springtime.

Cheers
Will
Will Atkins

Postby Daniel Bohle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Will Atkins wrote: I'd be grateful for any info regarding female snakes - especially adder and smooth snake - which appear gravid in early spring.

Do you have this german paper?
DITTMANN, G. (1978): Jahreszeitlich außergewöhnliche Trächtigkeit von Kreuzotterweibchen im ostthüringischen Hügelland. – Veröff. Mus. Stadt Gera, Naturwiss. R., 6: 91-92

He found a gravid viper out until the 15.11.1978 and again between 21.12 - 28.12.1978!!! still gravid. The next year he found it on the 22.03 but now thin. Later on the 13.-14.04 he found 4 babys at this spot.
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Common frogs in the UK will already have been making eggs during the summer and autumn, ready for immediate spawning at the slightest sign of winter's end next spring.

Of course, I should've known that! :oops:

Will, thanks for the reply anyway!
Ilian Velikov

Postby Will Atkins » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi Daniel - many thanks - and for describing the interesting observation in the paper, which is just as well as I don't speak German unfortunately. Ilian - no worries!
Cheers
Will
Will Atkins

Postby Paul Lambourne » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Chaps,

Checked the refugia where the very fat female was from a couple of weeks ago and found a few of these little cuties :D A very nice morning indeed!
cop.jpg

IMG_5681 copy.jpg

Ridiculously small, but stunning nevertheless..

Cheers Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Great find, Paul!
Ilian Velikov

Previous

Return to Western Europe