blue Pelophylax near Toulouse

France, British isles

blue Pelophylax near Toulouse

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Mon May 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,
what do you think about this picture of blue Pelophylax sp. taken on the south of Toulouse, near Saint Gaudens ?
Less of xhantophores like blue Hyla meridionalis ?

bluepelo.jpg

other pictures on:
http://www.batraciens-reptiles.com/foru ... 28&p=13602
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Re: blue Pelophylax near Toulouse

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon May 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Lack of golden iris suggests alampism (guanophores absence), but back should have been darker then. Whereas the back color suggests lack of lipidophores-
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 am

Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Sandra Panienka » Tue May 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Very cool, wish I would find a blue Pelophylax. The blue coloration is caused by reflection/scattering of light with short wavelengths from guanine platelets in the iridophore layer of the chromatophore unit in the frog's dermis when xantophores are missing. Günther (1990) has a nice description of different color anomalies in water frogs, even mentions some authors that described some finds of individuals with melanistic irises, it seems to be quiet rare.
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Tue May 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks Sandra, I put your explanation in my forum. Translation with google.
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 16, 2012 9:43 am

Look at the eye of this female... (not damaged or similar = other side was exactly the same)

green toads from Sicily (most likely Bufo (Pseudepidalea/Bufotes/...) (viridis) balearicus, to assault you all with the most crazy way to name it...)

I seem to remember some explanation, but I forgot - most likely in line with what Sandra wrote(?).
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Wed May 16, 2012 5:39 pm

the lack of yellow pigments do why the pupil seems to take all the place in the eye (sorry for my english...) ?
For my very very old school and mentality, un crapaud, a toad, ein Kröte will be always BUFO !
= Bufo viridis or Bufo siculus
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Tom Hoogesteger » Wed May 16, 2012 6:03 pm

I have found a Pelophylax just like that (first pic) in the Netherlands in 1994.

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:For my very very old school and mentality, un crapaud, a toad, ein Kröte will be always BUFO !
= Bufo viridis or Bufo siculus

I agree.
Tom Hoogesteger

Hometown: Jarvenpaa

Postby Sandra Panienka » Thu May 17, 2012 12:29 pm

This is the literature that Günther (1990) lists within his paragraph of Pelophylax spec. with melanistic eyes. Does anyone have access to any of this, especially the french stuff? I'd really love to read it.

Rostand (1953): Sur l’anomalie Iris brun chez Rana esculenta L. et chez Rana temporaria L. – C. R. Ac. Sci. (237) 762-764.
Rostand (1958): Les anomalies des Amphibiens Anoures
Dubois (1968): Sur deux anomalies de la grenouille verte (Rana esculenta). Bull. Soc. Linn. (37) 316-310.
Dubois (1979): Anomalies and mutations in natural populations of the Rana „esculenta“ complex. Mitt. Zool. Mus. Berlin (55) 59-87.
Rostand & Darré (1970): Une mutation de Rana esculenta: la Grenouille aux yeux noir. C. R. Ac. Sci. (271) 1414-1415.
Dubois & Vachard (1971): Sur une anomalie pigmentaire de la grenouille verte (Rana esculenta) et de quelques autres amphibiens anoures et urodeles. Bull. Soc. Linn. (40) 40-52
Dalton & Hoerter (1974): Patterns of purine synthesis related to iridophore development in the wild type, melanoid, and axanthi strains of the Mexican Axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum. Developm. Biol. (36) 245-251.

For anybody who is interested in that chromatophore unit stuff within the amphiban dermis, I can recommend the "Biology of Amphibians" book by Duellman and Trueb; they explain it a bit better and more in detail than Günther does.
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

If anyone has access to these papers,mentioned by Sandra, please mail them also to admin(at)fieldherping.eu, I will upload them into the DB.
Thanks

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Next

Return to Western Europe