Holidays in Provence : V. ursinii and almost nothing else

France, British isles

Re: Holidays in Provence : V. ursinii and almost nothing else

Postby Stéphane Aubry » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:Very nice pictures of these little creatures ;)
I love this area.

Thanks Mario !

Yes, V. ursinii are marvelous and mysterious snakes and the area where we can find them is really nice but very fragile. We have to be very respectful with it and the endangered vipers !

Please, if you go there don't handle the V. ursinii outside the scientific research periods. You will help the vipers but also JP Baron for his research.
When you spot a viper, you can often easily approach her without disturbing her if you are very quiet and taking pictures at a few centimeters !

Christoph Stenger wrote:Thanks for sharing! Nice finds!

Just to give an update: no success - too hot.

Have to try again next year... :-(

Thanks Christoph and good luck for the next time ;)
Stéphane Aubry

Hometown: Neuchatel

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:10 pm

I wish to visit this area next year. Ursinii in situ looks awesome!
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:05 am

we could have a meeting when Mr Baron will be on place.
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Christoph Stenger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm

if possible I would like to join in!

Cheers

Christoph
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Hometown: Hanau

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Michael Glass wrote:Visiting this particular spot is not far away from visiting a zoo - particularly when the zoo keeper is guiding you.

In my opinion (hahaha), this is phrased as a judgement and not an opinion. You feel that way, but I think you shouldn't tell how others should feel about that. Why not let people do what they want? No need to degrade their way of wildlife watching, right? So far for my continued quest to soften you up :mrgreen: , I apologise.

Apart from that, I am a schizophrenic and agree a little bit with you.

Michael Glass wrote:It's like visiting the adder spot here together with me. Before we even reach a bush, I can tell you what animal will lie in front of it.

... which could be very educational, I would say (if the guide adds some life history knowledge etc.).

Michael Glass wrote:On the other hand, it's maybe the better choice in terms of protection.

Think so too...

Personally, I have no affinity with the desire for the long, hard chase - I would make a lousy alfa male hunter. However, having already visited the discussed spot before, I also picked another one to go looking for ursi last July. The result was no sighting. Don't know if I would have been happier to revisit the same old place again with JP - I don't regret my failed attempt at all, but failing is never fun, of course.

Let's not forget that the discussed spot is probably the only one most people know. I don't really regret that.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Christoph Stenger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Michael Glass wrote:
Christoph Stenger wrote:if possible I would like to join in!

Let me give you a recommendation, although you didn't ask for it.
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing this great species in the middle of nowhere after hours of hiking and searching. Visiting this particular spot is not far away from visiting a zoo - particularly when the zoo keeper is guiding you. It's like visiting the adder spot here together with me. Before we even reach a bush, I can tell you what animal will lie in front of it. On the other hand, it's maybe the better choice in terms of protection.
Micha

Jup, didn´t ask for advice. Don´t need it either. :roll:

The "Baron-spot" is not really difficult to explore so it´s just a matter of time (and weather) until you find ursiniis there. It just sounded very interesting to meet up with Mr. Baron and learn from him and his research. I´m not looking for "drive-by-herping" but some more scientific knowledge. There are some spots around where it is a lot more difficult to find ursiniis - these spots are by far also more appealing regarding the landscape than "the Baron-spot"- I visit these spots regularly (but have to admit I have not yet been successful).

Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Postby Christoph Stenger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Michael Glass wrote:There is a key difference between recommendation and advice. I can explain in German if you prefer.

@Jeroen I think you are interpreting more to my statement than I wrote. Strange that every word I'm saying is turned into a judgement or rules over others. At least doubtful behavior. And yes, Nuremberg berus are basically a zoo. Restricted habitats just like in a viv with a path for the visitors and the same success probability as in San Diego's vivs. But it's not as great to see then there as is in a large natural area. Just my 2cc.

Didn´t ask you for recommendations either. :roll: Neither do I need any explanation.

Maybe you should start thinking about yourself if you think that every word you say is turned into a judgement or rule over others. But it´s way easier to say that everone else but you has a doubtful behavior.

´nuff said.
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Postby Christoph Stenger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks.

Tae care and have a good time, too.
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:46 pm

my God, I started an hurricane :o
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote:my God, I started an hurricane :o

Hopefully just a storm in a teacup.

Last year Frank & you visited a Croatian "ursinii zoo", guided by the "zoo keeper" (myself).
There we met Rok & Teja who had found the same locality the hard way - using their brains
and a lot of time and effort. We had a nice time together and enjoyed the ursinii search to
the same extent, irrespective of the different "prehistories" of coming there.
One of the reasons is that, even if one is guided by a "zoo keeper", V. ursinii is not so easy
to find - they just don't sleep always under the same bush.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

PreviousNext

Return to Western Europe