Return to Corsica

France, British isles

Return to Corsica

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Finally the season arrived .. and trips to foreign lands beckoned. Myself and two good friends decided on a pleasant excursion to Corsica and then onto Sardinia.. I had been to both, beautiful island before, and although Corsica presented no new ticks for me herp wise, the chance of revisiting such a stunning island was not to be missed, as well as the chance of getting better pics than last time..Sardinia held the possibility of a number of new ticks for me however, in the form of cave salamanders and the elusive brook newt..

My companions were Sean, from the forum, well known UK birder and orchid expert, Sean had a number of much wanted bird and orchid ticks on both islands, and Trev, not a herper, just a keen photographer and by keen I mean Nikon Professional card holder..(but I don’t hold that against him) he just wanted to take pictures of everything.. Trevs travelling camera kit is about 22000 euro..its great kit, but it takes him so long to set up for a pic, he often misses the shot, which stresses him out beyond belief and makes Sean and myself laugh like drains..

Sean arrived at my place on Saturday.. he is Northern, so once he had adjusted to clean air, electricity and indoor toilets, I took him herping close to my house..the weather, as usual for this time of year in Blighty was not herp friendly, but with perseverance and luck, we manage to see berus, bufo, vulgaris, helveticus and fragilis.. a good start..

We returned to my place, beers, curry and an early night was in order as we were up at sparrows the next day. After an 04:00 start, a quick goodbye to my long suffering girl friend and an easyjet flight (coffee and a twix only 6.50 euro, where’s the profit?) by lunchtime we were in sunny..yes sunny.. Corsica.. Sean had seen a number of orchid species before even leaving the airport.

We picked up the hire car, and Sean drove to our first location, a dune area where Sean hoped to see an extremely rare orchid. We parked up and on leaving the car, immediately heard the wonderful sound of calling frogs.. I investigated the noise while Sean went orchid hunting.. a small man made pond contained several stunning frogs.. as I approached I flushed a small snake, the brief view I saw looked like natrix, but I could not get a pic.. behind the pond was a marshy area and a stream, alive with more frogs.

IMG_7475 copy.jpg

IMG_7478 copy.jpg

IMG_7504 copy.jpg

Watching the frogs for a while I noticed my number one odonata target for the trip, the Island blue tail.. a cracking start to the trip.

IMG_7512 copy.jpg

We tried in vain to find the orchid, seeing lots of wall lizards in the process..

IMG_7635 copy.jpg

IMG_7629 copy.jpg

However it started to dawn on us that the GPS was a bit unpredictable.. it was jumping from coordinate to coordinate and appeared to be off by some hundreds of meters.. it did not bode well for the rest of the trip..

After some hours we headed off to find somewhere to sleep for the night.. I must admit given the combined age.. and incomes of the group, we decided to stay in reasonably pleasant accommodation, as opposed to the usual, more economical places of previous trips. On route we stopped to check out a lovely hotel, which had a small ornamental pond in its grounds..here we saw our first hyla and painted frog of the trip.

IMG_7644 copy.jpg

We headed off to other sites, and just before dark we stopped at a cascade across the road, a few miles from our chosen accommodation for the evening, Sean wondered off up hill and after a few minutes called me and Trev to say he had found a funny tadpole.. I arrived at the pool to see the eft of a Corsican brook newt.. bless him, he can Identify just about any European bird by song or a flash of colour between bushes, or separate cryptic orchid species by petal length.. but faced with some black blob of a neonate amphib..bloody useless..we had a good chuckle at Seans expense and where well pleased with another trip tick.. and so to bed.

IMG_7579 copy.jpg

After a pleasant sleep and breakfast we set of to visit some other sites, at a beautiful gorge site, Trevor and myself looked for the Corsican Fire salamander whilst Sean went of in search of his most wanted tick for the trip.. the Corsican nuthatch.. a rather drab brown bird.. nowhere near as exciting as the rather drab brown Corsican brook newt. Trev and I found large numbers of juvenile Corsican fire salamander but sadly no adults, as well as painted frogs.. and again we flushed a small snake..

IMG_7572 copy.jpg

IMG_7563 copy.jpg

IMG_7574 copy.jpg

Sadly Sean did not find his nuthatch.. so we headed off to another site higher up in the hills. After much searching and use off audio technology we found the nuthatch.. Sean was extremely excited.. I don’t know what the fuss was about.. at the site I idly turned over bark in a damp area, not expecting to find much, and I was amazed to find an adult Corsican brook newt.. now I was extremely excited.. I followed the tiny stream up hill and found two more in the heavily vegetated, shallow pools.

IMG_7586 copy.jpg

IMG_7590 copy.jpg

IMG_7612 copy.jpg

Sean found Archaeolacerta bedriagae on a rocky outcrop, so all in all, a worthwhile stop.. A final stop for the day produced more wall lizards, and another Corsican painted frog.

IMG_7627 copy.jpg

We got up early and headed to a final site in Corsica, nothing much presented itself save for a painted frog..we dropped off the hire car at the airport and got a taxi to the ferry.. now I know I have slagged off Jurgens, grand theft auto style of driving in the past, but our taxi driver made Jurgens driving look like Miss Marples.. shaken and stirred we arrived at the ferry, to find out that there was not another ferry for three hours.. I bravely volunteered to watch over the kit, whilst Sean and Trev went lizard hunting in the surrounding area.. to the untrained eye I may have looked like I was dozing, post beer.. however I was like a coiled spring..probably.. Finally we caught the ferry and watched by Corys shearwaters we crossed to Sardinia..

To be continued..
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: Return to Corsica

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:59 am

Damn Paul, get it together man and stop flushing small snakes. :lol:

to the untrained eye I may have looked like I was dozing, post beer.. however I was like a coiled spring..probably..
:mrgreen:

Can you put a name to all those green frogs?
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:01 am

Aaaaaaaah... Corsica!!!

I think that larva is Salamandra and not a Euproctus eft (but maybe I read it wrong).

Vlad Cioflec wrote:Can you put a name to all those green frogs?

Pelophylax lessonae bergeri
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 pm

That larva surely is Salamandra with the pale dots on the limbs. But nice finds with Euproctus being my favourite, and surely a place I want to come back in the (near) future!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Peter Oefinger » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Paul Lambourne wrote:We picked up the hire car, and Sean drove to our first location, a dune area where Sean hoped to see an extremely rare orchid.

On Cyprus, I experienced, that orchid hunting with Sean can be some kind of race ;)
Heading for the next part of your report...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Return to Western Europe