At last!

France, British isles

At last!

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:36 pm

It was lovely and sunny this morning and so I decided to haul my arse off of the sofa and go to an Adder site that I hadn't visited for a few years. The weather enroute almost made me turn back but I kept going and was rewarded with a cold,breezy but sunny site. I walked through the scrubby undergrowth checking areas where I had had previously seen Adders but was disappointed with the results so I moved round to some old lead workings and almost gave up but then nearly stepped on one, (must have lost my touch due to lockdown). I stood for a while and heard a rustle in the nearby bracken, slowly turned my head and out came a pair of Adders fighting, I have travelled all over Europe photographing reptiles and always wanted to see "dueling"Adders and here they were, at last! I stood there quietly and watched at least 7 Adders moving through a small patch of undergrowth, one coming close and almost sliding across my foot. Another pair began combat, allowing a few more photos and then it all calmed down. I then noticed a female curled up amongst the plants and realised why they had been so agitated

ImageUntitled by Kevin Byrnes, on Flickr

Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Re: At last!

Postby Robert Madl » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:07 pm

Congratulations, one of the absolutely highlights of snake behaviour! Thanks for sharing. It's too bad that the adder populations declining in different regions due to habitat loss and possibly climate change. Did the situation of the adder change in Wales as well in recent years?
Robert Madl

Hometown: Frankfurt

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:58 am

nice observation. I love combats :D
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Avery Leatherwood » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 pm

Somdeday I have got to see this in person!
Avery Leatherwood

Hometown: Pamplona

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 pm

Cool, I envy you :D
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Francesco Tri » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:08 pm

Robert Madl wrote:Congratulations, one of the absolutely highlights of snake behaviour! Thanks for sharing. It's too bad that the adder populations declining in different regions due to habitat loss and possibly climate change. Did the situation of the adder change in Wales as well in recent years?

what if climate change is due to a deliberate process of melting the poles in order to exploit oil coltan reserves etc??
Francesco Tri

Hometown: BARI ITALY

Return to Western Europe