Counting the egss

France, British isles

Re: Counting the egss

Postby Sjuul Verhaegh » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Gerald Ochsenhofer wrote:Very interesting! :)
Did you find any sign in this, or the last years, that some eggs didn't hatch and still were alive (so the "juveniles" stayed in the eggs over winter and hatched next spring)?
Or very early clutches (like in Apr. to end of May)?

Cheers
Gerald

Gerald,

From what I have heard is that these eggs hatched in September. I have never heard of the juveniles that stayed in the egg, but all the eggs we found with volume where decaying..

Thanks all for the nice reactions :mrgreen:
Sjuul Verhaegh

Hometown: Netherlands

Postby Jimmy Lundqvist » Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Sjuul Verhaegh wrote:Saturday 5 November 2011 we went out for the nationale natuurwerkdag (national nature working day). Our 'work' was to collect grass snake eggs and count them. In total we counted 2800 hatched eggs! In 2010 they found 3200 hatched eggs on this location. After the nationale natuurwerkdag we also 'hit' a great moorland area where we found a very late juvenile Smooth snake! This found made our day complete!

Greetings,

Old thread, but I´d like to know more about the egg-site itself, are the eggs buried just on the ground in loose soil? No compost heaps or such?

Rgds
Jimmy Lundqvist

Hometown: Goteborg

Postby Ulrich Schulte » Wed May 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi,

reading again this post and the question about hibernating Coronella neonates. I found this neonate on 22.9.2012 with a lenght of 15.3 cm and a weight of 3 g, this year on 13.5.2013 I found the same individual with a lenght of 15.5 cm and 3 g, nearly no difference after its first hibernation (although the scale was not perfect).....

Greetings, Ulli
Attachments
S7r 2012.jpg
Ulrich Schulte

Hometown: Trier

Previous

Return to Western Europe