Hello from Czech

The admin would like to ask all our members to give a short introduction of themselves here - also please include a picture of yourself, so we will recognize you in the field.

Re: Hello from Czech

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:56 am

... but maybe you were a bit harsh again.

I have already apprehended that myself and apologized for that, especially (personally!) to a newcomer,
"someone who has just joined the "club" ". So, you're knocking on an open door. I do regret my excessive
"harshness", especially with a person like that, but repeat my recommendation: use any understandable
language, whether "good" or "bad", if you want people to understand you. That's the bottom line of any
communication, either here, or anywhere else. What's wrong with that?
Totally "mechanically" using only "mechanical" (un-human) translators, without "cum grano salis", is more
likely to produce a mess than understanding. Sometimes it comes out just terribly funny, but more often
it also produces a blunt misunderstanding. And I would really like to understand, just like anyone else.
That's what I meant (and already had written), so no need to repeat myself. Roger & over.

This is an active and friendly forum with lots of information, so surely smart introductions and joining of
new forum members should be encouraged.

Yes, I have said "ROGER & OVER", and I really meant it, but still, I can't help asking what "smart introductions"
means... Sorry. Is it a linguistic generation gap (between you and me) in the meaning of words, or what?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:00 am

Welcome on the board Martin and please show more of your pictures from the Czech Republic (or anywhere else!). An amazing country with especially for such a small country, a high variety in newt species. Would love to visit once again...
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Martti Niskanen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:Yes, I have said "ROGER & OVER", and I really meant it, but still, I can't help asking what "smart introductions"
means... Sorry. Is it a linguistic generation gap (between you and me) in the meaning of words, or what?

Just a generally polite, open introduction. You get all kinds of intros on web forums.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Martti Niskanen wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:... but still, I can't help asking what "smart introductions" means... Sorry. Is it a linguistic
generation gap (between you and me) in the meaning of words, or what?

Just a generally polite, open introduction. You get all kinds of intros on web forums.

So, nowadays, "smart" really means "generally polite" and/or "open"? In my days it meant just the same as "clever",
"bright", if taken in the positive sense, and more-or-less "nasty", or even "treacherous", in the negative one... Well,
thank you, nice to be informed of the latest linguistic tendencies in English ( but which one of the so many Englishes
that happen to be/coexist in this world...?)
Sorry, I'm being a bit "nasty" again, but for a reason. Just ignore it.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Tomas Klacek » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:12 am

Welcome, Martin, hope You will show us some aesculapian snakes soon :)

Bobby Bok wrote:Would love to visit once again...

Really? :) I remember quite well Your words like f***ing Czech Rep., f***ing rain...never wanna go back... :D
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:57 am

Haha :lol: That must have been a temporary clouded mind because of the biblical amounts of rain that came pouring down on us!

Czech Republic (9).JPG
Czech Republic (9).JPG (48.99 KiB) Viewed 6423 times

Despite the rain that was a great little trip we had! Still remember the amazing sandwiches at the gasstation, best I ever had...
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Really? :) I remember quite well Your words like f***ing Czech Rep., f***ing rain...never wanna go back... :D

Fortunately, the Czech Republic (as such) is not an issue these days, so one can easilly joke about everything,
quite relaxed - as it should be, of course. Lucky you. Try the same with/in some other countries, actually not
so terribly far away... European countries... Or rather don't... (Sorry for/if being a "spoilsports", but... never
mind - rather just ignore this comment of mine.)
BTW, what is the actual (accepted?!) English term for this country, but without that stupid addition "republic"?
In so many languages (including mine) there is a single-word name, as it should be - for a well-defined country
of a well-defined people/nation (either republic or kingdom or whatewer...) - and it has worked for centuries.
So, what has "gone wrong" with the English term for this country? Or maybe the native speakers of English(es)
have never had one? (Hard to believe, actually.) Or what?! I'd really like to know.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:41 pm

Has nothing to do with english and isnt stupid fo sure :x
The only offical name for the Czech Republic is Czech Republic
See Wiki: in German scroll down to "Kurzform des Landesnamens"
or in English.
this holds also for Czech language, although since May 11th, 2004, the Czech senat voted for Česko instead of Česká republika
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Officially, the Republic of Austria (German: Republik Österreich), but in normal communication just Austria
(German: Österreich). I've only asked the same for the Czech Republic - how it's called in normal speech. In
Czech it's Česko, in German it's (nowadays) Tschechien (used to be "Tschechei", but - see history), in French
it's Tchéquie, in Croatian it's Češka,... so, what is it in English? I really don't see why a simple question like
that should be taken as irritating, by anyone, especially by an Austrian (like M. S.).

Well, here's what Wikipedia says:
"Following the dissolution of Czechoslovakia at the end of 1992, the Czech part of the former nation found
itself without a common single-word name in English. In 1993, the Czech Minister of Foreign Affairs Jozef
Zieleniec suggested referring to the new country in less formal contexts as "Czechland", singling it out as
a traditional name of the dominion of the Czechs.[23] He also offered the alternative "Czechia" /ˈtʃɛkiə/
(Česko Czech pronunciation: [ˈtʃɛsko] in Czech); while the Czech form has gained usage, the English version
is still rare
.[24] The current Czech president Miloš Zeman uses the name Czechia in his official speeches
and promotes its wider use.[25][26][27] Nevertheless, in official documents and the full names of
government institutions the term Czech Republic is always used."

So, the Czechs do have a yet unsolved problem of naming their country in English with a single, "unofficial"
word. And a reasonable single-word solution in English would be Czechia, but is still not in wider use... OK.
I certainly do accept and encourage that (quite reasonable) solution, but...
Actually I'd like to hear a response/opinion from our native Czech forum members - how it sounds to them,
which word would they use (in English). I suppose that, in normal (not "official") life, no Czech in his right
mind would invite his English-speaking guests to a round (or two, or three...) of "Czech-Republic(an)" beer,
or say "let's go hunting herps in the Czech Republic". Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least after a few rounds
of Czech beer, one should really feel being in Czechia, not in (this or that) "Republic"... Well? The Czechs?
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:52 am

Hi, welcome here !! very very nice pictures, exactly what i like :o
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce yourself