Southwest Iberia 2017/18

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Southwest Iberia 2017/18

Postby Laura Bok » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Hey everybody,

this year, Bobby and I said goodbye to 2017 and hello to 2018 during a trip to the Southwestern Iberian Peninsula. The region was suffering from a severe months-long drought during our visit, and so the desired amphibian-frenzy did not happen. Instead, we enjoyed the sun and spring-like weather for a full week, but fortunately were still lucky enough to find quite some amphibians. The always hardy Fire Salamanders in particular did not mind the unfavorable conditions and were encountered in some of the weirdest habitats...
Bobby´s report can be found here:
https://www.herpsafari.nl/tripreports-e ... sw-iberia/
The Flickr-album is available here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9kva3A

Cheers and enjoy!
Laura
IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5932.jpg

IMG_6066.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg
IMG_6223.jpg (190.53 KiB) Viewed 5497 times

IMG_6259.jpg
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Re: Southwest Iberia 2017/18

Postby Rafa Carmona » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks for sharing great trip report
Rafa Carmona

Hometown: Sevilla

Postby lakiere pieter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Cool findings and pictures. I always love chameleons.
lakiere pieter

Hometown: bellegem

Postby Rafa Carmona » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm

The Almonaster la Real area is good for Vipera latastei
Rafa Carmona

Hometown: Sevilla

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 pm

The tree that the toad is sitting on looks rather familiar.
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 am

Little annotation: the two Malpolon you have found are both females. I write this because, even if almost nobody specifies the sex of the photographed specimens, Malpolon is one of the few species of colubrids (as far as I know the only one in Europe) in which the two sexes looks "completely" different in colour and mainly in markings. And those differences are well present in hatchlings too, even if less evident as it's the case of adult or subadult snakes.
In the second specimen you have found (the bigger one, probably found under a stone) the typical body markings of females are very strongly represented.
A male would have been almost uniform in colour with a black saddle on the neck...
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:Little annotation: the two Malpolon you have found are both females. I write this because, even if almost nobody specifies the sex of the photographed specimens, Malpolon is one of the few species of colubrids (as far as I know the only one in Europe) in which the two sexes looks "completely" different in colour and mainly in markings. And those differences are well present in hatchlings too, even if less evident as it's the case of adult or subadult snakes.
In the second specimen you have found (the bigger one, probably found under a stone) the typical body markings of females are very strongly represented.
A male would have been almost uniform in colour with a black saddle on the neck...

Is my Malpolon male or female?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:
Ruggero Morimando wrote:Little annotation: the two Malpolon you have found are both females. I write this because, even if almost nobody specifies the sex of the photographed specimens, Malpolon is one of the few species of colubrids (as far as I know the only one in Europe) in which the two sexes looks "completely" different in colour and mainly in markings. And those differences are well present in hatchlings too, even if less evident as it's the case of adult or subadult snakes.

It's a young male.
40-60 cm long?
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:
Michal Szkudlarek wrote:

It's a young male.
40-60 cm long?

I dont remember, it was 5 years ago. Moreover the snake was in bush so it was hard for me to assess its length.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Sweet report, nice little getaway!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Next

Return to Iberian peninsula