Polish lowlands

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: Polish lowlands

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

Very cool looking vulgaris indeed! Good job on the rescues !
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Pablo Deschepper wrote:Very cool looking vulgaris indeed! Good job on the rescues !

Thanks! But don't you have problems with trapped herptiles in Western Europe? I don't see photos of other forum members rescuing our little fellows.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Yesterday I was helping people build fece to protect amphibians from entering busy road. In fact we first had to destroy old, cranky fence to set up new one. Amphibians walk along fence and then they fall into pail dug into ground. These pails are being monitored everyday in spring and fall and guys release amphibians in the opposite side of street. Yesterday we found 2 adult grass frogs in the pails.

Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am

Good job! Is this road crossing a major amphibian migration route, or are there any endangered amphibians? By what criteria it was selected for the building of the fence? I'm asking because two temporaria are not much but maybe it is still too cold..?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:13 am

Ilian Velikov wrote:Good job! Is this road crossing a major amphibian migration route, or are there any endangered amphibians? By what criteria it was selected for the building of the fence? I'm asking because two temporaria are not much but maybe it is still too cold..?

The road is very crowdy and there is protected area nearby, lake and a stream. Following species are being found in pails: Rana temporaria, Bufo bufo, Rana arvalis, Lissotriton vulgaris , Peleophylax esculentus, Bufotes viridis, Pelobates fuscus.
Michal Szkudlarek

spring 2018

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Last week I rescued I crested newt from drainage manhole.

I also observed mating of smooth newts in fish-free garden pond of my friend.
Lissotriton vulgaris, female

Yesterday I observed beautiful sight. Many moor frogs most of them blue.

grass frog was mating too

same with common toads

breeding site of moor frogs

when looking at moor frogs I noticed spadefoot toad in shallow water near bank of the pond

I observed also grass snake- it has probably tried to take advantage from high supply of food - common toads. But I failed in taking decent photo- sorry.
ImageDSC09553
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Tomas Klacek » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:54 am

Cool observations Michal! Love the pond full of moor frogs. I also observed them this weekend but their numbers are lower and lower... :( I only saw about 15 males, nice to see some healthy population.
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Thank you Tomas! I have observed moor frog breading before but never in such amount. Suprisingly this population is withing borders of a city.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Tomas Klacek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:16 am

That´s great. "My" population become well known and unfortunately blue frogs is a sensation and attracts more and more people without deeper interest in nature. Most of them behave without any respect. Reeds is crushed, water is muddy and eggs are partly crushed too by rubber boots of passionate photographers :(
On the other hand, popularization of moor frogs brings ban of duck breeding in this particular pond. Paradoxically because of fire bellied toads, which are more threatened by the law, but far more common around my hometown... I´m quite pessimistic about arvalis future in this pond...:/
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Tomas Klacek wrote:That´s great. "My" population become well known and unfortunately blue frogs is a sensation and attracts more and more people without deeper interest in nature. Most of them behave without any respect. Reeds is crushed, water is muddy and eggs are partly crushed too by rubber boots of passionate photographers :(
On the other hand, popularization of moor frogs brings ban of duck breeding in this particular pond. Paradoxically because of fire bellied toads, which are more threatened by the law, but far more common around my hometown... I´m quite pessimistic about arvalis future in this pond...:/

Apparently there are more people interested in blue frogs per capita in Czech Republic than in Poland, it does not suprise me though. In that spot where photos of blue moor frogs were taken by me this year there were some people taking photos too but they were rather random people who did not intend to find blue frogs. I was asked by strangers about them because they noticed I was zealously taking photos :)
Michal Szkudlarek

PreviousNext

Return to Central Europe